GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Wood Foundations

qNmAkJWQYT | Posted in General Questions on

I live in a 25 year old home constructed with a wood foundation. The basement is dry, and insulated on the inside with r-19. To cover the insulation which has been dmaged over the years with holes in the paper covering, I want to cover it with a 6 mil poly. This would be for aestetics only, as the foundation remains solid. With a wood foundation, would a 6 mil interior vapor barrier do any damage that I need to be concerned with.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

Yes.

If this is what's called an All-Weather Wood Foundation, made from pressure-treated framing and pressure-treated plywood, it will have a vapor barrier on the exterior. Using a double vapor barrier will trap moisture in the wall and cause swelling, possible delamination of the plywood, mold growth if not rot.

Cover the walls with MR (moisture-resistant) drywall or some other moisture-resistant but vapor-permeable material.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |