GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Post & Beam Construction

marc.kleinmann | Posted in General Questions on

I have a fairly general question regarding building design & construction techniques: In your opinion, why do you think the once very popular post & beam construction method of the 50’s & 60’s is barely used anymore? I’ve been studying Joe Eichler for years and just recently took a closer look at the entire Case Study Home program again – It seems to me that for modern designs, this method has quite a few advantages yet you barely see true post and beam houses (new construction) anymore. Here in Dallas there are still quite a few homes of this era left, mainly from noted architects such as Howard Meyer and O’Neil Ford. Let’s get the discussion started…

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Dovetail7442 | | #1

Here on Vancouver Island the style is experiencing a bit of a resurgence. Of course the NW style was huge during Eichler's time and for years afterward.
    And of course those of us who have been building timber frames for the last 25 + years know all about post and beam..

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Marc,
    There's a section on timber framing in the GBA encyclopedia:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/green-basics/timber-frame

3. user-869687 | | #3

I have a project in the works where I have chosen to minimize usage of engineered lumber, and it's partly timber framed as a result. The floor joists are 2x8s spanning between solid 6x12 and 6x14 beams. Beams make the longer spans (up to 14') and are spaced 8'-0" on center. This is a strategy to avoid I-joists, which could have easily made the longer span. The reasoning is partly that I-joists have questionable durability, being largely made from 3/8" thick OSB, which could be readily destroyed by a water leak or a fire. Engineered lumber also contains glues that may off-gas and compromise IAQ, and are produced in a factory with greater energy embodied. Solid lumber is natural and low-tech.

The 6x beams are dropped so 2x joists make double spans across them, and that avoids using a lot of joist hangers. Drop beams make a timber style, with most of the beams exposed. Using 2x8 floor joists allows a thin floor structure, which is helpful with this project's three stories and snug urban site.

4. Dovetail7442 | | #4

Thomas, on occasion we've used thicker timber and cut a rebate in to it, creating a ledge for joists to sit on (for 2X8's, the rebate would measure ~2" deep by ~7 1/4" tall). The drawbacks to this approach are that we need to start with a bigger beam (which costs more) and that some of the timber gets buried in the floor framing. Additionally, the ability to use the floor cavity for mechanical raceways is limited. But if height is a serious issue, it can be worth the hassle.

5. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #5

Marc,
    Post and beam was the preferred method of wood building homes in the country until the early 1800’s with the invention of the “factory nails”, as they started to “balloon frame” houses; it became much faster and cost effective. Also, I doubt there are too many folks around that know the trade well enough to make it competitive in today’s market. I hear some of the Mennonite colonies in West TX are looking for barn building apprentices… and they even speak German!!! ;-))
    Hey, come to think about it... here is a new twist on The Apprentice; I wonder if the Donald would go there.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Armando,
    It may not be competitive, but timber framing is alive and well in northern New England. If you want a new post & beam house (or barn or garage or shed), you can get bids from a dozen companies pretty easily.

7. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #7

I don’t doubt that in few areas of the country P&B still practiced; we see that in NM with few guys who build straw bale houses as well. But in general, it’s a beautiful practice that only the true believer and craftsman is willing to make a carrier of it and folks to have a house build.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |