How can I add a porch or sunroom to my house

My 2 story older home on the beach is a basement walkout on the ground floor. We live in a rainy climate so it would be nice to have a covered space on the beach side of the house. I scrounged 5 large double pane windows from a remodel site (bottom pane on each can be cranked open). Originally I had planned a second-story deck with some fiberglass roofing panels attached underneath, to create a covered patio area on the ground level. But, after acquiring the 5 big windows I'm thinking the space under the new deck could be a porch instead. I'm looking for a book, a video, or some online resources to guide me through this process. I don't want to end up with a space that is full of rats, mold, toxic fumes from exterior wall of house, or a trap for moisture that will enter the house and cause problems. Any advice welcome.

Asked by daniel wayne
Posted Apr 11, 2011 2:10 PM ET

1.

Daniel,
It sounds as if you want to build a porch. You'll need to learn about foundations, framing, roofing, and flashing. If you've never done such work before, you'll probably need to find a contractor who's willing to work with you and provide some training.

Posted Apr 12, 2011 8:04 AM ET