GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How can I add a porch or sunroom to my house

danwayne | Posted in General Questions on

My 2 story older home on the beach is a basement walkout on the ground floor. We live in a rainy climate so it would be nice to have a covered space on the beach side of the house. I scrounged 5 large double pane windows from a remodel site (bottom pane on each can be cranked open). Originally I had planned a second-story deck with some fiberglass roofing panels attached underneath, to create a covered patio area on the ground level. But, after acquiring the 5 big windows I’m thinking the space under the new deck could be a porch instead. I’m looking for a book, a video, or some online resources to guide me through this process. I don’t want to end up with a space that is full of rats, mold, toxic fumes from exterior wall of house, or a trap for moisture that will enter the house and cause problems. Any advice welcome.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Daniel,
    It sounds as if you want to build a porch. You'll need to learn about foundations, framing, roofing, and flashing. If you've never done such work before, you'll probably need to find a contractor who's willing to work with you and provide some training.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |