GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How can I add a porch or sunroom to my house

danwayne | Posted in General Questions on

My 2 story older home on the beach is a basement walkout on the ground floor. We live in a rainy climate so it would be nice to have a covered space on the beach side of the house. I scrounged 5 large double pane windows from a remodel site (bottom pane on each can be cranked open). Originally I had planned a second-story deck with some fiberglass roofing panels attached underneath, to create a covered patio area on the ground level. But, after acquiring the 5 big windows I’m thinking the space under the new deck could be a porch instead. I’m looking for a book, a video, or some online resources to guide me through this process. I don’t want to end up with a space that is full of rats, mold, toxic fumes from exterior wall of house, or a trap for moisture that will enter the house and cause problems. Any advice welcome.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Daniel,
    It sounds as if you want to build a porch. You'll need to learn about foundations, framing, roofing, and flashing. If you've never done such work before, you'll probably need to find a contractor who's willing to work with you and provide some training.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |