GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Lightning rods for metal roofs?

Michael Maines | Posted in General Questions on

We recently installed a galvalume roof for a client. They asked how the roof was grounded. It’s not, as far as I know, other than through the structure. Do others here ground their metal roofs or is it a gimmick?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #1

I have never grounded a metal roof or installed a lightening rod and in over thirty years of building have never had a lightening problem as a result of this practice. I'd call it a gimmick.

2. user-939142 | | #2

i'm not sure about roofs, but pretty much all metal out buildings here are grounded
    it would seem if your roof is in a possibly risky area, like a large open field where frequent lightening strikes occur, grounding couldn't hurt any. from what i know, it may not do much in an actual strike but could help dissipate static. it should be that costly or difficult.

lightening rods tend to venture more into the gimmicky world unless you are on a big structure and have a LOT of $$ to protect

3. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #3

Thanks for the response, guys. Pretty much as I suspected.

4. HomeBuilder1975 | | #4

I have installed lightening protection on a few homes when requested, this is company I used.

http://www.bondedlp.com/

5. user-659915 | | #5

lightening |ˈlītn-iNG, ˈlītniNG| noun
    a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.

Guys, I think the word you're looking for is 'lightning'. No 'e'.

6. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #6

Thanks for the correction James.
    More levity, even at the cost of brevity.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |