GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Problems with closed-cell and open-cell spray foam insulation?

jKZKaSym7D | Posted in General Questions on

Does anyone know if problems with closed-cell and open-cell spray foam insulation can occur when the installer does not clean out the line and shoots one right after/on top of the other?

The reason that I am asking is that my family and I are experiencing severe off-gassing due to another Demilec disaster. We have been in our home for 1.5 years now and my husband is severely allergic to the spray foam insulation. I get bad headaches almost daily. We are wondering if anyone knows about this?

Both Demilec and the installer are not helping at all. Also please view the link below.

As I research this further I am finding many, many Demilec victims left to figure this out on their own…. Instead of Demilec paying Armani-suited attorneys, maybe they should help the homeowners affected. Just makes common sense…Thanks, Rebecca

http://www.wftv.com/video/28588604/index.html

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-884874 | | #1

I don't have an answer to your question, but as a writer in the green building industry I am very interested in your story. Would you be interested in talking to me?

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

Not to dismiss your claims at all (they are very serious issues and accusations), but can we assume that you’ve had your home tested for indoor air quality and you are sure it comes from the foam installation? There are many reasons for having bad indoor air quality, and I would want to make sure of it before I get lawyers and the press involved. Most problems with products are applications and installations. Also, could there be other VOC in your house that are causing or contributing to bad indoor air quality like glues, paints & stains, carpet, sheetrock, moisture & mold, no mechanical ventilation or fresh air make-up, etc., etc.?

3. jKZKaSym7D | | #3

Armando, Offcourse we have had tests (thousands of dollars later) done the off-gassing is from the insulation and the conclusion is the same problem many other homeowners are having not just myself. Its this off-gassing insulation. From the date of application the same smell is still very very present today. Seems to be worst in the summer/hotter months. Rebecca

4. jKZKaSym7D | | #4

Yes Trish I would be interested in talking to you. Rebecca Niswonger

5. user-884874 | | #5

Robert,

I'm sorry I did not get notice of your reply and just now noticed you said you would be interested in talking to me. Please contact me with your information at [email protected].

6. jklingel | | #6

Can I assume that you have an HRV working properly, and probably exhausting on the high side of the suggested range?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |