GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Noise deadening strategies for a roof

HmTcz3uNTt | Posted in General Questions on

I am writing to enquire about sound deadening strategies for a 17-year old guest bedroom roof that is part of a house addition. The few times I have been up there when it rains, I am surprised of how noisy it is. The noise by itself is not prompting me to make a change but since a tree fell through the roof, I now have an opportunity to address it. I plan to replace the damaged portion and reshingle the entire addition. This portion of the house roof profile comprises (i) a basic asphalt shingle, (ii) 15Lb or 30Lb felt/tar paper, (iii) ½” Plywood, (iv) 2X10 rafters with stryrofoam vent channels and R30 fiberglass (pink) in between, and (v) ½” drywall.

I plan to replace the basic shingles with a slightly thicker architectural shingle that is used on the remainder of the house (replaced 7 years ago). Initially I considered adding a layer of foam board with an additional layer of plywood on top but that proved to be an additional $3,000. The alternative, I am considering now is to simply go with a thicker felt or tar paper, perhaps even doubling up 30Lb felt/tar paper. Are there issues with doubling up tar paper? I wouldn’t want to inadvertently create moisture or other problems. I’d also like to hear whether people think this will help reduce noise. Finally I would be interested in any other options that I should consider?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |