GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can you paint over XPS to protect it from sun?

RamblinRose | Posted in General Questions on

I put on a house addition with XPS on the exterior. I won’t be able to side it until next year, leaving the foam exposed to sun and elements.

Is it advisable to coat it with a latex paint or housewrap?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    Here is some information on leaving Dow Styrofoam exposed to sunlight: "It should not be stored outside under sunshine for a prolonged period of time (over a month) to avoid excessive exposure to sunlight (UV). A sheet of polyethylene film may be used on top of the STYROFOAM Brand XPS Foam Insulation to prevent excessive exposure to sunlight (UV)."

The information is found on this website: http://dow-styrofoam.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3373/~/how-should-i-store-styrofoam%E2%84%A2-extruded-polystyrene-foam-insulation%3F

If you do choose to install polyethylene on top of the XPS to reduce UV exposure, be sure to remove and discard the poly when the siding is installed.

2. kevin_in_denver | | #2

Latex paint works well to protect it from sun exposure. I've done it. I wouldn't try to push it much past one year, though. It does nothing to prevent damage from rodents and birds, which could be a consideration.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |