Best place to buy rigid foam insulation?

In general, where have you found the best price on XPS and Polyiso? Lumber yard? Big box stores? Other? We are in the design stage of a new custom home project and I want to analyze price/performance as we are creating the plans. In the past I have relied on my stucco sub to provide it in his bid, but we will install on this project. Thanks for your input!

Asked by Bill Costain

GreenBuildingAdvisor.com is currently in maintenance. During this maintenance it is not possible to change site content (like comments, pages and users).
1.

I have found the best prices going directly to the manufacturers. And have found better deals on EPS than XPS, not to mention the less-nasty blowing agents.

Answered by Dan Kolbert

2.

Large commercial roofing suppliers have it this way. Also if you are buying large quantities annually you can work out quantity pricing in my area with our better lumber yards.

3.
Answered by John Semmelhack

4.

I looked all over for a source of reclaimed rigid insulation and ended up finding a supplier locally - on a buy and sell website.
It was in very good shape except for a few dings and holes from fasteners.
I bought a pile of 4" xps for my foundation for a little more than half the best price I was quoted for new material.

Answered by Lucas Durand - 7A

5.

the big roofing supply places[ABC roofing] stock and deliver iso foam at good prices

Answered by Keith Gustafson

6.

If your area is like my area, you've got at least one really weird lumberyard. We got our polyiso at pretty good prices there. Check craigslist too, of course.

Answered by Minneapolis Disaster, 6B

7.

Thanks for all ideas. I like the idea of using recycled/reclaimed.

Answered by Bill Costain

8.

As a follow up, I found reclaimed 3" polyiso locally for $15 per 4'x8' sheet.

Answered by Bill Costain

9.

Try Green Insulation Group.. great selection of Reclaimed, recycled, factory seconds, and surplus product. www.greeninsulationgroup.com

Answered by ron gluck

10.

I can vouch for Green Insulation group. Price was good and the reclaimed 4" xps was in fine shape, almost like new, but a little dusty.

Answered by stephen sheehy

11.

EPS is going to be less expensive than XPS and you can buy it with 10% to 15% recycled content. Universal Foam Products is a great source http://www.univfoam.com. ABC Supply probably sells more polyisocyanurate (most used for commercial roofing) than any company in the country. Either of the two companies can help with XPS.

Answered by Bob Corbin