GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best place to buy rigid foam insulation?

DWBuilder | Posted in General Questions on

In general, where have you found the best price on XPS and Polyiso? Lumber yard? Big box stores? Other? We are in the design stage of a new custom home project and I want to analyze price/performance as we are creating the plans. In the past I have relied on my stucco sub to provide it in his bid, but we will install on this project. Thanks for your input!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. dankolbert | | #1

I have found the best prices going directly to the manufacturers. And have found better deals on EPS than XPS, not to mention the less-nasty blowing agents.

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Large commercial roofing suppliers have it this way. Also if you are buying large quantities annually you can work out quantity pricing in my area with our better lumber yards.

3. user-757117 | | #4

I looked all over for a source of reclaimed rigid insulation and ended up finding a supplier locally - on a buy and sell website.
    It was in very good shape except for a few dings and holes from fasteners.
    I bought a pile of 4" xps for my foundation for a little more than half the best price I was quoted for new material.

4. gusfhb | | #5

the big roofing supply places[ABC roofing] stock and deliver iso foam at good prices

5. user941025 | | #6

If your area is like my area, you've got at least one really weird lumberyard. We got our polyiso at pretty good prices there. Check craigslist too, of course.

6. DWBuilder | | #7

Thanks for all ideas. I like the idea of using recycled/reclaimed.

7. DWBuilder | | #8

As a follow up, I found reclaimed 3" polyiso locally for $15 per 4'x8' sheet.

8. rondog56 | | #9

Try Green Insulation Group.. great selection of Reclaimed, recycled, factory seconds, and surplus product. http://www.greeninsulationgroup.com

9. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #10

I can vouch for Green Insulation group. Price was good and the reclaimed 4" xps was in fine shape, almost like new, but a little dusty.

10. zrs1863 | | #11

EPS is going to be less expensive than XPS and you can buy it with 10% to 15% recycled content. Universal Foam Products is a great source http://www.univfoam.com. ABC Supply probably sells more polyisocyanurate (most used for commercial roofing) than any company in the country. Either of the two companies can help with XPS.

11. whitenack | | #12

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to stop in and say thank you! I was having trouble finding XPS in enough quantities at our local big box stores. They could get, but it would take a little while to bring it in. Found this post, called our local ABC roofing location, and they had polyiso for almost half what the big box stores were selling the XPS. I'm thilled!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |