GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Regarding the November 2011 article on Synthetic Roofing Underlayments

TVWTGDkL4L | Posted in General Questions on

Should synthetic roofing underlayment be used on a roof with open cell foam sprayed against the roof deck with shingles in North Carolina? I sure hope so as we just did it with a house I am having built.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Chris,
    According to manufacturers recommendations, almost all synthetic roofing underlayments can only be used over ventilated spaces (that is, vented cathedral ceilings or vented attics).

The only exceptions are vapor-permeable synthetic underlayments like Deck-Armor, Delta-Maxx Titan, VaproShield SlopeShield, Cosella-Dörken Vent S, Nemco Industries RoofAquaGuard BREA, or Cosella-Dörken Delta-Foxx. If you chose one of these vapor-permeable products, you probably know you did, because they cost an arm and a leg.

Your roof assembly is not ventilated, so if you used a typical brand of synthetic roofing underlayment, your installation violated the manufacturer's recommendations. It is also a code violation, since almost all building codes require all products to be installed according to manufacturer's recommendations.

So, you made a mistake. But now that the roof is built, I wouldn't lose much sleep, since it's too late to solve the problem. Your roof will probably work.

However, it you want to pursue a case against your builder, it certainly sounds as if your builder might have made a mistake.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |