GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

UFFI insulation removal

R6EgUpNZE6 | Posted in General Questions on

Working on a clients home in Ontario Canada and discovered UFFI in the walls
of the room being updated
The UFFI is deteriorating, and there is some moisture in the walls.
Would like to remove and dispose of the UFFI, but need to know if there are
any regulations regarding removal or disposal.
None of the government agencies seem to have the answers, and I have
searched the web extensively.

Anyone offer some insight into this?

Many thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. R6EgUpNZE6 | | #1

I did find out that UFFI is not a "designated substance" under the OHSA.
    Designated includes asbestos, lead etc.
    It is however recognized as a hazardous building material, and requires proper PPE and handling,
    under the OHSA
    Still trying to determine if it is a hazardous waste for disposal purposes.........

If anyone has further info would like to hear about it

2. hayyyhoe | | #2

Hi Joe, great question. I see you were the only one who answered your question! I’m surprised there isn’t much info on this. I’m hoping my comment here will spur some new responses. Has anyone removed UFFI on a project? If so, how’d you do it? I have it in my sloped attic cavities above finished space. It just crumbles so I’m tempted to shop-vac it.

3. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #3

It has been removed from a couple of renovations I designed. I don't recall the builders taking any special precautions. Its main health concern is long-term offgassing of formaldehyde; short-term exposure while removing it is not the same as living in the house. However, I don't know what there are for actual rules about working around it or disposing of it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |