GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Noise Reduction retrofit – which insulation to blow in between floors?

LLARATtBRM | Posted in General Questions on

My four story 1880’s row house has no insulation between floors. I am unable to drop ceilings or build up floors and I don’t need total sound-proofing, but I would like to reduce noise as much as possible by drilling holes in the ceilings and packing insulation between floors. (Thermal savings is just an added plus)
Every contractor recommends a different product — Green Fiber Cellulose, Insul Safe, air krete, etc. How can I compare these apples and oranges? What should I specify in the bid to the contractor? How much less sound transmission (noise reduction) can I get?
Thanks!
M G A
NYC

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jklingel | | #1

Every time sound proofing comes up on a forum, three things are mentioned: mass, isolation, and plug holes. Make sure your contractor does not overlook the details. Are heavy carpets and thick pads out of the question?

2. LLARATtBRM | | #2

I have an 80% of-the-floor-must-be-carpeted clause in the tenants leases and I bought the extra thick pads myself, but its not enough; so the question remains: which insulation product will work best?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |