GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Venting behind spruce clapboards

hwWwyhAbJi | Posted in General Questions on

I’ve been reading a lot about the importance of having a rain screen/venting behind clapboards. I seen the product Home Slicker, but also know that you can doing furring strips too. If I choose to use furring strips, would it be wise to use a product that would not rot? Such as some sort of pressure treated wood, or a plastic of some sort? If so, what would you suggest?

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Holly,
    Any one of the products you mentioned will work, but pressure-treated wood is unnecessary. Pressure-treated lumber requires the use of stainless-steel fasteners, which is a major disadvantage compared to ordinary 1x3s or 1x4s.

Rainscreen furring strips won't rot within the lifetime of the house, because they stay dry. They are protected from rain by the siding, and they spend their lives in an extremely well ventilated, dry environment. It's hard to imagine a better environment for wood longevity.

Very little rain gets past the siding, and any moisture that does get past the siding dries very quickly. Rainscreen gaps are designed to be well ventilated, after all.

2. BobHr | | #2

I would say that you want to avoid treated wood. It does take special fasteners, it tell you that its corrisve. I would not want to risk its affect on house wraps etc.

3. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #3

I like 3/8" cdx ripped into narrow strips. It's super cheap and can take the small amount of moisture it will see over its lifetime.

4. hwWwyhAbJi | | #4

thanks to everyone, the information is very helpful. This forum is a great resource.

5. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #5

Holly, if you don't mind using plastic, there is a product available for furring strips: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/siding-vent-sv-3.cfm.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |