GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Valley Flashing Options?

k8RQsvj3yc | Posted in General Questions on

Per my roof installer, the roofing shingle I have specified (Certainteed Presidential) cannot be woven in the valleys. He says it voids the warranty. He says we have to go with metal flashing (over the usual Ice and water barrier). Is there any other product I should be looking at besides the aluminum (.032) or copper (unknown gauge) he offers? Pitches are 6 1/2 and 8. The reason I specified this shingle was the “heavy texture” appearance so I assume any similar shingle will have the same restriction.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #1

Jim, check out the right side of the first page: http://www.certainteed.com/resources/PresidentialShakeTLInstall.pdf. Woven valleys never work with laminated shingles (or with unequal pitches) but closed cut valleys usually work fine. Because this is an extra-thick shingle, an open valley is the best idea, but it does not appear to be a manufacturer's warranty issue. I don't know of any metals for valleys other than aluminum, copper or steel, all of which are available with various coatings.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jim,
    Whatever type of flashing metal you use, be sure that your roofer makes the exposed flashing wider at the bottom than the top. (In other words, don't cut the shingles parallel to the valley). That way, ice will clear faster.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |