GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Condensation in enclosed porch

iwCdprk5CK | Posted in General Questions on

Every since my father put in a new rooft and months later new windows we have been having problems with a leaky roof. About two years ago, one winter day we noticed that ceiling of our porch was dripping water it literally like it was sweating. Our porch floor would always be wet and slippery. Someone had mentioned to me that it may be condensation. I guess this happens when cold and hot air meet which causes the condensation. Can someone please give me some input?

Thnx……

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Boro | | #1

Did your father insulate the roof and does the ceiling "sweat" as the day warms?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Maritza,
    You could be seeing evidence of a roof leak, or you could be seeing condensation. It's impossible to tell what's happening without more information or a site visit.

Condensation occurs when warm, humid air encounters a cold surface. That could happen with your porch ceiling, although for it to happen regularly rather than rarely, something unusual is going on.

If the moisture appears after rainy weather, it's probably a roof leak. If the moisture appears after cold dry weather, it's probably condensation. If the moisture appears when your roof is covered with snow, it may be evidence of an ice dam.

3. DonnaLP | | #3

I have the same issue. It is not a leak in my roof. Definitely condensation. We recently enclosed the porch by replacing the screens with windows. Please help!!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |