GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What’s the difference?

ZJBQow3MKb | Posted in General Questions on

I read on the internet…..Finally, there is a foam in place,cementitious insulation Air Krete that is made from…Yes,Retrofoam made by Polymaster.
My question The salesman told me that Retrofoam excreted gases! I could get Retrofoam cheaper than Air Krete but that it wasn’t Green!
Was I lied to?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if AirKrete and Retrofoam are the same product, or if they are substantially similar, or if one or both off-gas after installation?

As far as "green" goes, there isn't much in the way of insulation that I would call "green" aside from cellulose. Other than that, it all has a lot of embodied energy, is often made from petrochemicals, manufactured by processes that release a lot of greenhouse gas, etc.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Connie,
    There is no definition for the word "green."

3. user-1090662 | | #3

Several products can be blown in, including these two. Foam prices vary widely, with the most insulating foams being more expensive than what you're considering. Retrofoam's a medium-density polymer foam. Air Krete's cement-based. Yes you'd want to ask Retrofoam the outgassing question before selecting. Air Krete isn't available where I am but I would have liked the option partly bec yes, supposedly inert. You'd want to ask Air Krete about shrinkage and expected service life before selecting.

My opinion, get at least 3 bids.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |