GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I currently have an oil hot water heating system. I wish to get off oil.

8hYfzaovc9 | Posted in General Questions on

What is the most economical and green solution? Wood is not an option.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jan,
    There is no single answer to your question; the answer depends on your local fuel costs, fuel availability, and willingness to pay extra for low-carbon alternatives. It also depends on your climate.

The usual choice these days for people in your situation would be a natural-gas boiler.

If natural gas isn't available, you should probably consider an air-source heat pump or a ductless minisplit. Of course, these options won't work with your existing hydronic distribution system.

For more information, read Heating a Tight, Well-Insulated House.

2. user-1094014 | | #2

Jan,
    It may be possible to use and air to air heatpump with your hydronic system, though you may require a slightly larger heatpump than would be necessary for forced air. I'm no expert, but i have a plumber friend here who has done just that for his own house and has had great success. but it would depend on you climate. more expensive up front, but heading into peak oil, this will be the most cost effective space heating in the immediate future i think.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |