GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Staggered studs on 2×8 plates….anyone do it?

user-1012653 | Posted in General Questions on

There is a lot of talk here about OVE framing, double stud wall framing and various types of thick exterior foam options. However I have not found much talk at all about staggered 2x4s on 2×8 plates. I realize this does not eliminate thermal bridging at the sills and heads of the walls, but I would have to assume it would create a slightly stiffer wall too. 2 rows of 2x4s cost about the same as a single 2×8 around here. The 2x4s would be on 12″ staggers, so a 24″ o.c. on their respective sides. The header plane would remain on the exterior row of 2x4s so the bridging is still far reduced from a typical 2×6 wall. ZIP sheathing on the exterior and blown fiberglass/cellulose, to me, gets you a high performing & stronger wall for a slightly less cost (less wood required) and time then a true double stud of similar thickness.
Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jesse,
    Sure, I've heard of people framing walls that way.

It won't cost you any more to frame a 12-inch-thick double-stud wall, though -- all you need is a little more cellulose -- and the 12-inch-thick wall will perform a lot better than the wall you propose.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |