GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Whole house fan exhaust out my soffit

user-901114 | Posted in General Questions on

My Panasonic whisper green is 2 ft from my soffit. Can I run the exhaust through it an down? The roof is vented with 24oc 2×8 rafters.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #1

yes that should be fine assuming the fan is intermittent not 24/7.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Stephen,
    1. A Panasonic Whisper Green fan can be used for an exhaust-only ventilation system or as a bathroom exhaust fan, but it is not used as a whole-house fan. A whole-house fan is a fan that is used during the summer to lower the temperature of the indoor air at night; it has a much higher cfm rating than a fan used for mechanical ventilation.

2. It's possible to terminate an exhaust fan duct at a soffit, but I don't think it's a great thing to do. In a cold climate, these soffit terminations can grow icicles during the winter.

3. davidmeiland | | #3

Martin, up in these parts, it's required that you have a fan designated as a "whole house fan"... or at least that's the term that gets used. It mostly refers to the switch, which has to be a programmable timer that will let the occupant run the fan X number of hours per day after setting the timer once. The fan in question is very often an 80 CFM bath fan installed in the laundry room. The inspector looks at the timer to verify that you have what he wants. Definitely different from a whole house fan in other parts...

4. user-901114 | | #4

I am using the fan to change the air in my whole house. But it is located in my bathroom. I didn't envision having to run it 24/7. It has a timer. Was hoping I could hook it up to a humidistat.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |