GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I use flashing or what?

klingon111 | Posted in General Questions on

I have a plywood exterior wall and plan on adding house wrap with built in drainage plane, one inch foam board. If I put 1×4 furring strips on the foam what do I use to keep bugs from crawling up the air gap between the foam and the siding?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

Add 1/2" of foam between furring. Then some use stapled in fold of screen. Done. Next.

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Here in BC, where all construction in coastal areas has to include a rain screen, builders have moved away from folding insect screen at the bottom of the cavity, as it is very susceptible to damage and very difficult to replace. Instead we use a U or L flashing made of perforated material. They are commonly available here, but you may need to get one made up where you are.
    With a 3/4" air space It might be a good idea to check with your local building inspector, as codes differ in how they require the cavity to be terminated at the top. sometimes firestops are required for a gap that deep.

3. klingon111 | | #3

Thanks

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Tim,
    Most builders use insect screen. If you are worried about the durability of the insect screen, you could use this product from Cor-a-vent:
    http://www.cor-a-vent.com/siding-vent-sv-3.cfm

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |