GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Small dental office wanting to install the smallest water heater possible

Joe Stricker | Posted in General Questions on

I have five handwashing sinks and one sterilization sink and took out my 40 gal gas tank heater,Space is at a premium and wondering what would be some good options. The building is from 1968.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

Hard to answer well without knowing more, such as are these sinks located closely together or spread out, how is the piping configured, etc. Tempting to recommend a small electric tankless unit(s) but the added wait time would hurt if the piping runs are long. Is there any attic space, cabinet space, crawl space, etc., where a heater(s) could be located?

2. Joe Stricker | | #2

what other info would help your ideas flow fast and furious

3. wjrobinson | | #3

Domestic water that is acceptably soft, use a condensing tankless which allows circulation. Done. Do it right or don't do it. If not qualified to answer this question, call a qualified company. If you can't replumb to circulate you can put a pump back unit at the farthest sink location. You asked... ;)

4. Joe Stricker | | #4

approx 23 x 37 foot rectangular shaped space. Pipes are located under floor in crawl space. There is an attic. The more centrally located sink cabinets are 20 x25 inch and 24x 20 inch internally. I was thinking about a tankless, If the attic placement is chosen, I am guessing the longest run could be 20 - 30 feet. A minute wait time would be doable.

5. Joe Stricker | | #5

Thanks for the tip on cutting down wait time. Now do you have any specific brand/model ideas with the smallest footprint for my small space?? Our daily volume requirements are much less than a residential application. I am guessing the circulation feature also allows for a smaller unit.

6. davidmeiland | | #6

I would only install a gas tankless if you're willing to pay a lot for the unit and then pay more for the gas piping and venting. I think you can supply the needed hot water to hand-washing sinks (used 1-2 at a time for short periods?) with a small electric unit. You would need to run a number of new circuits to it, but if you have a crawl and an attic I'm guessing there is access to do so.

IMO the main reason for tankless is space savings. In your case you would probably get energy savings too, because you only need hot water available for 40 out of 168 hours in the week, the rest of the time it can be cold.

Not sure I would bother with recirc, but it might make sense on a timer that runs it on weekdays from 9-5.

Take a look at Seisco, and there are many others.

You need to get a plumber out there for an opinion.

7. Joe Stricker | | #7

Thanks David. The electric option sounds like a good fit for my one-two sinks at a time for short periods. This was a big help.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |