GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Humidity in Basement

chris8251 | Posted in General Questions on

Last year we added an addition onto our house located in Nova Scotia on the Bay of Fundy.The foundation is ICF and the header spaces are insulated with spray foam. There is drainage tile around the outside of the foundation. The problem – I’m getting around 4gal of water a day from my dehumidifier in the crawl space! (unheated). The floor of the crawl space is earth/sand/PLASTIC/Sand. There is no standing water and no signs of leakage but the top layer of sand is wet in some areas. There is no ventilation in the crawl space. Any ideas on how I can remedy this? I can provide additional info if required

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Chris,
    This problem is hard to diagnose without a site visit.

Is the crawl space under the addition open to the foundation (basement or crawl space) of the older section of the house? If so, the moisture you are collecting might be originating from the area under the older section.

Another possibility: there is a high water table in the soil under your house.

A good sealed crawl space requires attention to detail. Here's an article that tells you how to do it: Building an Unvented Crawl Space.

2. chris8251 | | #2

Martin
    Thanks for the information and very helpful link. There is no linkage to the old basement and it is nice and dry - Its dehumidifier only runs periodically. A high water table is the possible primary cause as this area was wet prior to building the addition. The foundation contractor said the foundation drainage would handle this. (He hasn't been helpful with the current problem - typical!:( ). I'm going to check some things out in the space this week.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |