GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What materials should I use for an indoor pool ceiling?

rebaz86 | Posted in General Questions on

I have an indoor swimming pool , now it is ready for suspended ceiling work but i need some advice about the materials that i have to use it because as you know it should be resistant to moisture please can you help me with that tell me what should i use( i am from iraq ) the materials that we have here are limited for example we have ( knauf gypsum panel , cement board , p. v .c board , )

thank you

best wishes….

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rebaz,
    You are correct that you should choose a moisture-resistant finish material. Gypsum panels are a poor choice; materials made of fiberglass, PVC, or stainless steel will be more durable (but of course, more expensive).

I don't know what materials are available in Iraq, but manufacturers produce stainless-steel suspended ceiling grids for harsh environments. See, for example, this description: "730 Stainless Steel Environmental Ceiling Grid - 15/16" - This system is manufactured to meet performance criteria of severe environmental conditions. The capping of grid is rollformed with 304 alloy, 2D finish Stainless Steel" -- on this page: http://products.construction.com/Manufacturer/Chicago-Metallic-Corp--NST2215/products/Grid-Suspension-Systems-NST47075-F

2. user-942951 | | #2

Useful article on building science for swimming pools http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-055-in-the-deep-end

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |