GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating a walkout basement in Alaska

KelliSean | Posted in General Questions on

I have a 6 year old home with a partially finished basement. I have been in the home a year and would like the basement to feel warmer. The house is partially underground as we are on a sloped lot. The walls are block underground and wood framed above, with a concrete floor that I think is uninsulated.
The walls in the unfinished space have fiberglass batts and vapor barrier. Electrical is done what would be a good way to tackle this? Leave walls in place and foam or use thin sheets of foam behind walls? The walls are built about an inch from the block walls.

Thank you
Kelli

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kelli,
    If the walls are not yet covered with gypsum drywall, I would throw away the fiberglass batts and hire a spray-foam contractor to install closed-cell spray polyurethane foam.

Here are some links to articles: How to Insulate a Basement Wall

Finishing a basement floor

2. KelliSean | | #2

I did get one quote for spray foam for the room that is 12 x 24 but it was a little over $3000 so I was hoping for a cheaper route. There is no drywall up.

3. jklingel | | #3

What part of AK? Rigid foam can be applied yourself, and has been discussed here. I think buildingscience.com also has info on this.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |