GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for siding contractor in western Mass./Connecticut Valley

user-2256204 | Posted in General Questions on

Our house, built in the early 1970s, has some rot in and under the siding on the north side, a gable end. A contractor recommends removing all the clapboards on that side, then removing and replacing all the plywood sheathing. I asked if we could improve on the insulation when the wall was opened up, but he said no, we can only replace what’s there. (The house has ordinary frame construction and fiberglass insulation – I believe it’s about R-11, but I can’t find a record.)

A reliable source tells me that (a) the first thing we should do is figure out where the water came from, and (b) then we should fix the underlying problem, and (c) we may not need to replace all the plywood, and (d) if we do remove the plywood, then yes, we can improve on the insulation. Does anybody know a contractor who is knowledgeable and experienced with this kind of work?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

Water problems become horrendous with foam use. Rain exposure, and wind, and roof overhangs and perfect window flashing.....

You are smartly being cautious.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

I'm providing this post with a bump.

Are there any readers in western Mass. who can recommend a contractor who might be able to address Patricia Appelbaum's siding and sheathing problem?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |