I'm chemically sensitive and the neighbor uses lots of pesticides that make me ill

Hello. I own a small 2 story semi-detached home, 1024 sq ft in all. I'm chemically sensitive and the neighbor uses lots of pesticides that make me ill. I would like to keep these VOCs out. Air purifiers have not worked for me.

Asked By Brenda Koehlert | Jun 24 16

Room on second floor of house that cannot be cooled with AC.

We have a 40 year old house with a 7 year old central air unit. The duct work makes it difficult for the AC to keep the upstairs as cool as desired on extremely warm days (92+). We have dual zone thermostats so we just use the upstairs unit for AC, which helps. We recently replaced the windows and have insulated the attic, so overall the system is adequate. We do, however, have one room that consistently runs 8-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the second floor. Cool air is coming through the register.

Asked By Tim Duffy | Jun 25 16

Geothermal vs. air-source heat pump

I have researching and getting quotes on hvac for a while now.. It is getting to crunch time.
Well insulated, tight house.

All three quotes include:
3 units, 3 air handlers, each zoned 3 times. Rigid Trunks and short flex runs.

option A. Carrier 18seer 25vna08... 5 stage. ( I don't like the potential harmonics problems of their greenspeed)

option B. Lennox x25 top of their line variable.

option c. Waterfurnace 7 series geothermal units. horizontally drilled ground loop.

Asked By Dean Sandbo | Jun 22 16

Upgrading a crappy HVAC setup

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new home in Northern NJ. The home was built in 1986 with forced hot air heat and withOUT air conditioning. Air conditioning was added later.

As a result, the house has two sets of ducts. One set feeds heat to both floors from the basement. The other feeds conditioned air to both floors from the attic - but there are too few ducts on the first floor for the A/C to work well for that floor.

The furnace uses oil and is likely nearing the end of its life. Also, the house has a pellet stove.

Asked By Matt Culik | Jun 24 16

Heat pump water heater + AC + refrigerator combo, someone?

Only wishful thinking ,

has any commercial products come up with a combo of any of the floowing items ??

- heat pump water heater ( tanked )
- heat pump AC
- heat pump heat
- refridgerator/freezer ??

I don't know why, but i think i recall looking at a product a few years ago that
comboed AC and water heater ??? can't find it anymore

what about water heater and refridgerator ?

I'd say, if use the heat generated by refridgerator/freezer pump,
would it make enough to hold up water temp in a tanked WH ??

Asked By Jin Kazama | Jan 7 13

I am thinking of an unvented cathedral ceiling

Hi. I am thinking of an unvented cathedral ceiling. Living in Hazelton, BC (Zone 4A, I believe), and would like advice on my proposed insulation plan. Staring from the underside: vapour-retarding paint; sealed gypsum board; 3/4" strapping; 2" or 3" Roxul board.

I would like to achieve at least an R50.

Asked By Mike Tomlinson | Jun 24 16

Atlas ThermalStar X-Grade Reviews?

Does anyone have experience using Atlas's ThermalStar Product -- X-Grade?

I am looking for an alternative to XPS in a below grade product. It will be used beneath the thickened edge (essentially a footer) of a monolithic slab on grade. The 25 psi version of this product seems like it could be a winner for me but I wonder if others have tried it out? What is your opinion of it?

I recently spoke with Bob Murphy of Universal Forest Products about this EPS foam board and it sounds like it has a lot of promise.

Asked By michael Iacona | Jun 24 16

Footing to foundation capillary break

Can a regular exterior latex paint we used for the capillary break between the footing and foundation, if one puts on a couple of coats. This is in a very dry climate, and the likelihood of any foundation water is almost non-existent. This is merely an extra added precaution. Footing poured today so we have the weekend to paint :-)

Thank you!

Asked By Steve Wilson | Jun 24 16

Double stud wall with a mid-wall vapor retarder

I'm starting the process of building a double stud house in the Milwaukee,WI area and am looking to find more information on double stud walls with plywood on the outside of the inner wall. I have already searched this site, but I wanted to see if I missed any articles/Q&A blogs that provide information on this wall system. I wanted to provide the builder with some information on why I chose this particular design. Any information/documentation links would be greatly appreciated.

Asked By Brad Depies | Jun 24 16

Roof buildup - Zone 4B

Curious as to this Shed Roof Build-up:

EPDM Roofing
2" Thermax Rigid Insulation Board (R-13)
Roof Underlayment
5/8" CDX Sheathing
2x12 DF#1 Rafters @ 24" o.c.
Layered Roxul Batt Insulation (R-46)

Any issues or potential problems?

Asked By Peter L | Jun 24 16