Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions. The usual rules of courtesy apply: 1. Be nice. 2. If you can't be nice, be polite. 3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief. To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments." Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo. Thanks for joining the conversation!

Answers

I live in the pacific north west, and will be building a home off the cost of Vancouver island this fall. The house is small, 700 square feet, with a 1 n 12 pitched roof as the design. We have not started construction on the house as yet and we want to deal with the roof in a way that will, of course, provide the best of all worlds.

Asked By Jeannette Sirois | Sep 1 14

I have a question about an effective way to solve an issue in a house with a large family room that has a painted T&G wood planked vaulted ceiling that leaks air and makes the house very cold in the winter.

Asked By Bruce Howe | Sep 1 14

Hi,
I am currently redoing the exterior of my house with a new vinyl siding and changing all windows. My house was built in the mid 80's and have 2x6 studs with Batt Insulation and mostly without a vapor barrier... but the insulation is not great, especially the air goes through the house.
My question is what is the best insulation for me to put outside the house underneath the vinyl siding. My windows will allow me to go up to 1 inches of exterior insulation.
So XPS with Typar? Polyisocyanurate (IKO Ener Air )? Others?

Asked By Jason Haché | Aug 29 14
Answers

I am finishing the exterior basement walls in my new home. My plan is adhere rigid to the foundation walls, after that I'll be putting down dricore subfloor, then studding up 2X4 walls on top of the dricore. There will be an air gap between the rigid and the 2X4's as I am laying in r20 "2X6" batts. Plastic vapor barrier will complete the system before the drywall. My question is about the rigid foam. I've been told that as long as it's not type 1 eps it will act as a vapor barrier and protect against moisture.

Asked By Mark McKenzie | Sep 1 14
Answers

Hi,

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. My house was built in the late 60s and is located in climate zone 6 (Quebec). My question is about the damaged kraft paper that is supposed to act as a vapor barrier. From what I can see the wall assembly is (from the interior):

- Drywall
- Kraft paper
- Furring strips
- Some cardboard fiber and studs
- Probably batts insulation (I can't see behind the cardboard)
- Tar paper and exterior sheeting (brick)

Asked By Guillaume Dumont | Sep 1 14
Answers

We're building a new 2-story home in central Iowa. It will have a below grade basement with 9' foundation walls. The slab will be about 8 feet below grade.

Asked By Silas Hoeppner | Sep 1 14

Has anyone ran across a design guide for passive solar thermal heating and cooling using water-antifreeze as mass in pex metal radiant roof and/or floor-wall lines? I’m thinking solar thermo-siphon vs a mechanical pump.

Asked By Terry Lee | Sep 1 14

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14

My home has return grilles on the wall about 3 ft down from the ceiling on 9 ft walls and about 4 ft down on 14 foot walls on the first floor. In the basement, they are on the wall about a foot up from the floor.

I am planning to install a ERV/HRV to combat elevated humidity in winter; I have had water condense along the ceiling edges and on windows during winter. The ERV/HRV will draw air from the return ducts and dump the fresh air into the basement.

Asked By Venkat Y | Aug 31 14

Lots of information on this website, FHB, BSC, etc about airtight drywall approach.

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I'm not able to find much on the following topics...

1.) What gaskets or caulk work best?
Martin has suggested polyurethane caulk and several brands of gaskets or sill seal in previous posts. Anyone have a particular brand or type of caulk/gasket/seal that they like best? Any tried the "ripped pieces of closed cell sill seal foam" method?
2.) What kind of results people have had using these techniques?

Asked By Robert Kohaus | Sep 1 14