I found that patents exist for products that would use the outgoing heat from a dryer to preheat the incoming air, but I haven't found any thing forsale. I'm not going to get away from using my dryer in the winter, but I'd like to do it as efficiently as possibly. Taking warm air from the laundry room, heating it, and then sending it outside, only to have make up air come from the cold outside seems horribly inefficient. My house is much too humid during the winter to use a dryer diverter and the smell is terrible, so that's not going to work.

Asked By Calum Wilde | Jul 30 14

Looking for an answer before I start this project. I live in northern MN. I had my attic spray foamed 4" behind knee walls, 3" in the living space. This is a 1 1/2 story with a non-vented roof. I want to know if its O.K. to use foil faced 1" rigid sheets to cover studs [Editor's note: I think David means "rafters"], with the foil facing down between the knee walls. I did plan on filling all voids and foil taping the joints. Then 1/2" sheetrock over the foam. Just want to make sure this isn't considered a double vapor barrier, and if this would be considered good construction.

Asked By david chinn | Jul 27 14

Climate Zone 6B

Asked By JMS Build | Jul 30 14

Hello everybody.

I am currently designing a new single family vacation home in southern New Jersey on the beach. The project is going for LEED for Homes and Energy Star certifications. My main wall section from inside-out calls for 1/2" gypsum, 2x6 stud wall w/ batt insulation, 1/2 plywood, 1-1/2" rigid foam, WRB, 1x4 furring/air space, fiber cement siding. Air sealing details are similar to those offered in the GBA detail library. As a summer vacation home the main usage would be during the cooling season.

Asked By kevin field | Jul 30 14

I am a siding installer and I would like to know if I can get paid for my scrap siding.

Asked By Bradley Wheeler | Jul 31 14

We currently stay in a cottage 3 hours north of Toronto, Canada. The main level of the cottage has standard 2x6 insulated walls. I don't know what the roof insulation is like, but I will find out.
This cottage has so far only been used in the summer, but we plan to stay in it over the winter and want to do some permanent and/or temporary fixes to stay through the harsh Ontario winter in this cottage.
My biggest concerns are:
- only electric baseboard heat available right now, with very high electricity cost here

Asked By Hermann Thoene | Jul 30 14

Hi Guys,

So after getting a $310 bill from the folks at Duke Energy last month, I decided it was time to figure out a more efficient way to cool our home. I've since asked them for their free energy audit to identify areas where I can save energy.

Asked By Jeff Lever | Jul 29 14

We are building a new home soon and I really want to include a small cold cellar to age a few beers and keep some wine cool in lieu of a beverage refrigerator. I also want keep our chest freezer (we buy full animals to process) in here to lower its run time.

Asked By Troy Stevenson | May 7 13

Hello folks,

First, I'd just like to say how thankful I am for the invaluable resource that is GBA. I spend A LOT of time reading the blogs and Q&A and I find that pretty much any question I might have has been covered here already. Though sometimes my understanding gets a little vague regarding certain details so I am hoping for some input on a potential wall detail.

Asked By Noah Byler | Jul 23 14
Answers

Any folks out there interested in helping me out with a research study? It's an online study with 5 sets of questions and takes about an hour total. We are trying to understand perspectives on the pros and cons of various wall sheathing materials, especially for multifamily structures, and as it relates to green building. If you are interested, please contact me via emailat mary@deepblueinsight.com or call me at (404) 459-7100. Our website is www.deepblueinsight.com

You will be paid $300 for your time. We need three people to participate. Thanks.

Asked By Mary Elzey | Jul 30 14