Is 35 year-old under-attic-floor fiberglass insulation a health issue?

I'm asking about the formaldehyde issue. We'll be spray foaming the attic soon--R38 rafters and R21 gable walls. The contractor would like to remove as much of the under-floor fiberglass as possible to make it a better conditioned space. We're not so inclined, since our attic will really only be for storage, central AC maintenance, etc. and as long as the temps up there don't vary by more than a few degrees, the winter cold or summer heat outside shouldn't affect us in the floors below.

Asked By David Goldman | Apr 28 17

We have a garage/worlshop that is occasionally heated with an

overhead suite that is kept at 5 degrees celsius. The ceiling of the suite is vapour-barriered and insulated. The floor of the suite is about to be insulated. Should there be vapour barrier in the suite floor/workshop ceiling, and, if so, where?
We live in Hazelton, BC - near Smithers, BC.

Asked By mike tomlinson | Apr 29 17

Venting a roof framed over a roof

I have a ventilation question I have just thought of while designing a home. The house is a 1.5 story home (framed as a cape style but turned 90 degrees so the front entrance is the gable wall).

Asked By User-6801629 | Apr 27 17

Remote thermostat for Fujitsu mini-split ?

I recently had a Fujitsu mini-split (AOU15RLS3H with ASU15RLS3) installed in a 24*36 foot room in Vermont. It is working well except that the temperature in the room not far from the unit is usually about 5 degrees below the setting on the remote. I have found two ways to get the temperature to the desired level: (1) Increase the setting on the remote or (2) set the fan not to automatic but to high. Neither of these solutions is ideal.

(Note that it is not in "economy" mode, the people sensor is off and the fan louver is pointing down.

Asked By David Martin | Oct 18 15

Weight bearing capacity Electrical Box for Chandelier

Hi everyone,
In looking for finishings for our house (new build) we found a crystal chandelier we liked but it's a bit on the heavier side (approx 40lb). in the foyer our electrician currently has an octogon box wired and attached to a 2x4 brace (see picture attached)..
My concern now is going with a heavier chandelier with this type of box and/or how it is supported in terms of its capacity to bear the weight of the chandelier we are looking at?

Many thanks in advance

Rick

Asked By Rick Manitou | Apr 29 17

Exterior wall installed on perimeter of OSB floor, yet rest of room is a cement slab?

Hi all.
We recently purchased a house and upon ripping the carpet out in one of the bedrooms noticed that the exterior wall has been built on top of an osb type floor, however directly adjacent is the cement slab. I've attached a picture.

I'm hoping that someone here may provide some insight into why the slab/osb combo has been used. The cement slab has heating put in the cement.

The house was built in 1998. It's considered a 'walkout'.
We are Alberta Canada. Thanks.

Asked By Frugalmumma | Apr 26 17

Not enough XPS over roof - should I vent?

I am in the Washington DC area - Zone 4. I just had a 1.5/12 single slope roof framed with 2x8's for a 14x20 new block wall garage. On top of the rafters there is a layer of plywood followed by 2" XPS rigid foam followed by another layer of plywood and then an ice and water shield across the entire roof. This week there will be a standing seam metal roof installed on top.

Asked By Calvin Bouchard | Feb 12 17

Is a single head minisplit practical?

This is a mostly accurate plan of dear, old Mom's house.
2265 ft²; zone 4 marine; target ACH50 = 1.5; 5000 HDD; 22°F design temp;
2x6 walls w/2 stud corners, 24" o.c., 1½" horizontal cross-hatched walls (similar to "Mooney"), 7" of dense pack cellulose; front wall faces north; awesome PV potential on south facing roof.

Asked By Mark Walker | Apr 27 17

Cape Cod attic — cellulose machine

My finished attic in my cape cod has terrible temperature regulation up here in central Maine. So far I've put 1 inch foam between the floor joists sealed the gap with foam. I've also spent days air ceiling the upper attic. Next step is for me to dense pack the sloped ceiling, which is made up of 2x8 rafters. I'll be using accuvent cathedral ceiling extensions to provide ventilation. The sloped ceiling is about 5.5 feet long so I'll be connecting two of the vents together and stapling at either side. The house is about 34 feet long and I have slopes on either side.

Asked By SciFiJock | Apr 25 17

Vented crawlspace - air barrier

I am trying to figure out the construction details for a new home build in Washington state, climate zone 4C (marine). I have been spending many hours trying to educate myself on GBA and with the "Musing of an Energy Nerd" (great book Martin).

Given the unique climate in the Pacific North West, the prevailing design for homes is vented crawlspaces. They appear to work well due to the lack of hot humid air conditions. I also understand that an unvented crawlspace is also an option but brings with it an additional level of concern for venting and radon control.

Asked By user-6824154 | Apr 28 17