Zone 7 wall help - 2" foam exterior, 3/4" plywood to interior - need vapor retarder?

Need help on this wall. Live in far northern MN. Talked with the local building inspector and found out that he is insisting on me using an interior vapor retarder (class II) on a high-r wall that I would like to use. After 25+ years in the window/door industry and seeing the damage that a "tight" wall can do, I am trying to avoid this. Any help would be much appreciated/

Here's the rundown of the wall construction.....exterior to interior

* House wrap
* 2" insulated sheathing (XPS, etc.)
* 2x6 studs
* Cellulose fill insulation

Asked By brett mattson | Aug 3 15

Insulating condo walls

Condo walls don't have insulation so smells and airborne sounds travel easily between units. There are gas appliances so can't get it too tight. However if there is a leak in one unit, you know pretty quickly. Condo in zone 4a. What is the best insulation for the walls to remedy this situation? Dense pack cellulose? JM Spider dense pack insulation? Thanks.

Asked By Sam York | Aug 3 15

Is my uninsulated garage making my house hot?

I have an attached uninsulated garage with its own attic, is that why it is so hot in my Austin, TX house?

Asked By K C | Jul 16 15

Pex plumbing retrofit + crawlspace insulation

Hi, I live in an older (1920's?) single story 1200 sf wood frame house on a post & pier foundation; small rural town in far northern coastal CA. The water table is high in the winter & indeed can have standing water of several inches around and under the house for short periods of time in non-drought years (and, yes, I've considered a sump pump, but nowhere to pump the water to that wouldn't flow back or, if not, compromise my neighbors property/dwellings).

Asked By Barbara Keating | Aug 2 15

Window sizes and shapes?

Is there any rhyme or reason to window sizes and shapes? I know that bedrooms have minimum width, and area along with a maximum height above floor level for egress but other than those requirements what determines how many and how big? For "day-lighting" what ratio of window area to room area is minimum or recommended? Reason I ask: I'd like to minimize the window area on the North, East and West while maximizing South facing windows which will have appropriate overhangs.

Asked By Jerry Liebler | Aug 2 15

Open-cell foam in an old home

We just purchased an 100+ yr old home that has been updated with new plumbing, wiring, and HVac units. There is a new metal roof on the home. There is an area over one of the bedrooms upstairs that is inaccessible for insulation. The room is hotter than the others. We can get some insulation blown in the area. We are trying to decide between open cell foam for the remaining attic or more regular fiberglass insulation. I've read a lot about open cell foam. My concerns are:
1) the area that can't be accessed. Will this let in moisture and cause a problem

Asked By Ashlee Melendez | Aug 2 15

Reduce thermal bridging

Hey Everyone,

I live in zone 4 and have open-cell foam on the underside of my rafters which will be an insulated cathedral ceiling. The rafters are 2x6, and I want to address thermal bridging while the drywall is down. I've read many other questions by other posters, and although I understand the merits of putting rigid foam on top of the roof sheathing, that's just not feasible in my current financial state. Additionally, the roof is young and in no need of being replaced. I've considered the following scenarios:

Asked By Steven Dunkel | Aug 2 15

Minimal maintenance grout

Hello All,

Tried searching the archives but couldn't find anything. Looking to get some info on grout that requires minimal maintenance.

My tile guy uses "TEC grout" but I have heard good things about " The Power Grout" by AccuColorEFX which I think is Epoxy mixed or something like that.

Possible for GBA experts give us their expert feedback?

Thanks

Beenash

Asked By Beenash Khan | Aug 1 15

Is it OK for a basement floor slab on slab edge on only 3 sides?

I am having a new house built and when I looked at the foundation there was a floor slab edge only on 3 sides and when I called the general contractor he told me the concrete contractor had already poured the floor and said it was all fine. the rest of the concrete work looks fine, but missing the slab edge on one side worries me and I don't know what to do???

Asked By Steve May | Jul 30 15

Anybody familiar with British Columbia building codes?

I am building a home in BC, and plan to use Lunos e2 for my HRV. There is a lot of stuff about ventilation and HRV in the latest code revision (Dec 2014, I believe). Is there, by any chance, anybody out there familiar with the BC codes that can tell me if I am going to experience issues trying to use the Lunos fans?

A couple things that I am concerned about (off the top of my head).

Asked By Stephen Youngquist | Jul 29 15