Homemade dog house insulated panels

I'm having to make a homemade dog house for my rather large Akbash mountain dog family (papa, mama and 12 wk old pup). I live in Region 5, western Colorado. I need a floor panel, roof panel, and 4 wall panels. I had this design for making the panels utilizing empty water bottles. What do you think? Will this work well enough to keep in heat and block outside cold air? I wish I had some idea of the R value. Cut 42" long x 36" tall 1/2" thick thick plywood panels. Glue 2x4s around inside edge of each wall panel perimeter, on the wide (4") side.

Asked By Andy Nels | Feb 7 16

What is best & permanent adhesive and sealant for metal roof screws/seams?

I have a u-channel metal roof. The washer screws that go through the roof into the plywood and rafters are backing out dozens a year and many are stripped. I want to tighten or replace them as needed and use something to keep them in as well as seal the threads and gaps watertight.

Any suggestions on procedures and materials?

Also, what is the proper location to put the screws? Through the raised part or the valleys? I see both on my roof.

Asked By Andy Nels | Feb 3 16

Air drying ponderosa pine

I live in SW Colorado near a sawmill that has a lot of reject 6x6 and bigger ponderosa pine posts and beams that are too warped or twisted too much to be used. Normally these are cut up for firewood but I want to slice them into 3/4" thick end grain tiles, air dry and dimension them and use them for residential flooring. I'll use a moisture meter of course but would like to have a rough idea of time needed for air drying before I start. The tables and formulas for air drying pertain to flat cut lumber but being end cut I'd think the time will be a lot less.

Asked By Jack tally | Feb 7 16

Trying to warm up an uninsulated concrete garage floor

Kenora Ontario Canada P9N0E7
Climate zone 7

Background- I have a 24 x 30 ft garage with 2x6 wood framed walls (R20 fiberglass batts in stud bays) and a raised heel truss attic (8 ft walls) the ceiling has R50 blown fiberglass.
The man door is located on the south wall and the two 7x9 insulated overhead doors are on the north wall...the ridge of the 6/12 pitched roof runs E-W.
The concrete pad is a 4 inch thickened edge slab over 6 inches of compacted stone; the earth is well drained and slopes away rapidly in all directions.
I use 1/2 the building for parking and 1/2 for a shop.

Asked By Tim Brown | Feb 7 16

They didn't completely hook the cold air return on my furnace. Is that OK? What could happen?

can just using indoor instead of fresh outside air cause any problems?

Asked By Roger Blankenship II | Feb 1 16

Moisture accumulating before vapor barrier installed.

I'm in zone 7A and built an attached garage this fall: in slab heat, 2X6 walls, Rex wrap and OSB sheeting. The in floor heat got hooked up and turned on the beginning of January at the same time I began insulating the walls with unfaced fiberglass batts and faced batts in the ceiling.

Before I got poly vapor barrier up on the inside, there was a large amount of moisture (it was frost when it was cold outside) accumulating on the inside of the sheeting behind the batts.

Asked By Neil Knutson | Feb 3 16

Basement remodel / Subfloor questions

I have a few questions about my plan to insulate a subfloor in the basement.

Let me provided the pertinent details and my purposed plan.

The brick ranch house located in zone 4a (Virginia) was built in 1965. It has both an above and below grade basement. The structure is concrete block. The front long wall and one short wall are completely below grade. The back wall and half of the other side wall are above grade. The basement is conditioned.

Asked By Steve Basic | Feb 3 16

Proper crawl space encapsulation and also radon mitigation questions

Hello, I own a 1968 cape cod style home in East Stroudsburg in the Poconos, PA (region 5). It has a full basement with 7' ceilings and concrete floor with probably little to no crushed stone underneath. At some point, there was a ditch cut out along 2 of the walls, with stone and probably a perforated pipe added, and concrete poured back except for a small channel along the block wall. This leads to a sump pit.

Adjacent to one of these 2 walls is a crawl space entrance where an addition was put in.

Asked By Ryan O'Rourke | Jan 26 16

Will this exterior wall system work for my tiny house?

I live in South Dakota in zone 6a (Sioux Falls). In a few months time I will be constructing a tiny house on wheels using 18 gauge structural studs. Starting in the wall cavity will be sprayed closed cell foam. On the exterior sides of the studs (and any other exposed metal areas- the steel trailer) I plan on using strips of 1 inch thick xps rigid foam with a compressive strength of 60 lbs/square inch. Also I will use steel strapping all around the outside to give it some shear strength and prevent racking.

Asked By Damon Beck | Feb 7 16

What is the ideal choice of cladding over OSB-Sheathed SIPs?

Hey Martin,

I find myself in a situation similar to one discussed here in the past regarding putting masonry, i.e. thin veneer, over SIPs. The original question was regarding which WRB to use. However for me, unlike the pervious poster, I have time to make course corrections. You previously said this was a "particular risky combination." I would like to know your recommendation of cladding over SIPs if stone veneer is not a good choice.

I live in Maryland, so we get plenty of rain. Just FYI.

William Lohr

Asked By William Lohr | Feb 1 16