Is there an energy efficiency penalty for an oversized dehumidifier?

If i buy one that is oversized for my basement it will presumably run fewer hours a day at higher wattage, is there any penalty or lower effectiveness on this?
The one i am considering is 1.85L/kWh energy star rated compared to another 1.85L/kWh unit.

Asked By Alan B | May 22 15

Perlite in wall cavity recommendations.

I have a 2x4 wall cavity that is only about 5" wide. The cavity contains a steam pipe which is uninsulated. The cavity is obscured by another wall that makes access to it very difficult.

I would like to fill the cavity with perlite to insulate the steam pipe. I can close up the wall to prevent the perlite from leaking out, and have access to the top.

The house was built in 1928. From the outside: brick, air gap, roofing felt, 3/4" tongue and groove.

Asked By Kurt Kiley | May 25 15

Pan heater on Mitsubishi minisplit?

Hi

I have installed MSZ-FH09NA/MUZ-FH09NA. The supply house told me these units do not come with pan heater which should be used in cold climates like NH. However, my unit is raised 16 inches of the ground and it's located under our porch and it's protected from snow.

Do I still need to install these pan heaters or I can go without them?

Thanks

Asked By Alex Frost | May 24 15

Is there a standard factor General Contractors use when calculating their fee to construct

I am in discussion with a builder to construct my new home in zone 4B. We have engaged the services of an energy modeler to determine how to build the most efficient house within the budget. We are grossly over budget, at the moment. I noted that the GC has build a 16% fee into the budget to build the house. This is on top of all the subs and the contigency. Not wanting to negotiate something I have no background on, I'm wondering if this is a negotiated fee or is there some standard? I understand my builder needs to make a profit but I would love to get 16% return on my investments!

Asked By scott schroeder | May 22 15

New high-rise condos

I read about a large scale high-rise condos being built in downtown Phoenix. What I was surprised at was there is nothing mentioned about energy efficiency. We are talking Arizona and no solar panels are being used to offset the electricity. There is no LEED certification being sought. Nothing about how energy efficient the building will or will not be.

http://www.portlandparkcondos.com/team/

Asked By Peter L | May 24 15

Adding a porch to a TJI Klingenberg wall

I'm trying to detail adding a porch with roof to a wall with 9 1/2" TJIs (full of cellulose) outside the 2x4 structural wall. The Tji's are not structural but I hesitate to bring the structure through the insulation layer to lag into the 2x4 wall. The loads are not huge but include snow load. The porch is only 7' deep. any suggestions?

Asked By Robert Swinburne | May 24 15

Oversize HVAC

Hi all,

I am building a home to be as energy efficient as my budget allows, so it will be air tight with higher insulation etc. The home is a total of about 6000sf and is a ranch with basement in the midwest. I am now looking at my HVAC bids but noticed that some of the bids have over sized HVAC systems. The bids include a 5 ton ac 20seer unit, a 110k BTU 98% furnace, ERV fresh air system, and humidifier/dehumidifier.

Asked By D L | May 23 15

Membrane in unvented roof

I am installing 1x6 T&G boards above my 2x8 rafers in an addition cathedral ceiling project. I plan to follow with a layer of 5/8" plywood (for roof structure), and 6 inches of polyiso above that.

Asked By Harold Orozco | Apr 30 15

Soundproofing from street noise

Anyone able to recommend a good quality sound proof window? Right now I am facing problem of street noise

Asked By Margareta Svensson | May 22 15

OSB versus Styrofoam

I live in climate 3 in warm humid Louisiana and will be building in the next six months. Most of the builders in the area use OSB in the corners and 1/2 styrofoam over the rest of the home for sheathing. I understand the styrofoam has much better insulating value than OSB but I also don't want a home that is structurally weak in a wind storm. Any advice on this?

Asked By Shane sims | May 22 15