Sealed gas see-through fireplace to outdoors

My wife loves a nice fire and wants a fireplace in our new home. One model we are considering is see-through, which would allow us to have the fireplace in the great room and the screened porch. This unit does not have a flue, since it exhausts to the outdoors from the top of the outside glass.

So, that would mean we have a metal connection from the outside to the inside with no thermal break. Although the glass is double paned (one inside and one outside), the 2 ft. separation pretty much negates any R-value.

Asked By Norman Bunn | Mar 19 18

Wide gap between mudsill and foundation

Hi all,

I am in the process of air sealing and insulating the rim joist area in my crawl space. I've already caulked in each of the bays and am about it install XPS and seal around with canned spray foam.

While crawling around I noticed that the mudsill is anywhere between 3/4" to 1 1/4" off of the top of the foundation wall. There are shims spaced out all around, some of which are degrading.

The main section of the house (with a full basement) was built in 1976 and the addition with the crawl space I am in was probably done sometime in the 80s. We moved in about 3 years ago.

Asked By user-7039735 | Mar 18 18

Air sealing vented attic on new construction

Its a mono slope trussed roof, with a vented attic, insulation on the attic floor. I assume I'd air seal at house wrap layer for the walls, but then how would I air seal the attic floor to the walls?

Is it generally better to just go for a vaulted ceiling? in which case I'd probably do SIP over trusses, and air seal the walls to the SIP.

Asked By Bernard Lam | Mar 20 18

To Spray foam or not?

I am trying to decide whether to spray foam my house which is currently down to the studs. I am in climate zone 2 so it is hot and humid most of the year. The house currently was built to have a vented attic. The house is about 3,000 square feet and is one story. I have a asphalt roof shingles that I had installed last summer. My HVAC equipment and water heater are in a mechanical room separated from the living space by walls and with a louvered door to the outside.

Asked By Kasey Doggett | Mar 18 18

Sheathing data logger

I'm working on a house with brick veneer that was built in the ~1970's without weepholes or base flashing and the 1" vent cavity is almost entirely filled with mortar. I'd like to add a data logger in my walls to track the moisture content of the sheathing, for personal interest. It's two layers, 1/4" OSB sheathing over 1/2" fiberboard. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some reasonably priced sensors & data loggers that would work for this. Something that wouldn't require a lot of user interaction to produce useful data as well.

Asked By Yupster | Mar 16 18

Can Larsen trusses be used for roofs?

My goal is to build a net zero home in a cold climate using the most cost efficient designs, methods and materials as possible. I'm in the design and planning stage at the moment and, to lower my costs, I plan to do as much of the work myself as reasonably possible and I'm hoping to use commonly available building materials whenever it makes sense. I'm currently in favour of using the Larsen truss system for a thick wall of dense packed cellulose but I'm wondering if that can be used for the roof as well. Has anyone seen this done before?

Asked By user-7037573 | Mar 20 18

Mini Split selection

I know this has been a well documented discussion on here. Yet here I am continuing it. I am close to making the final mini split unit selections for my house. I'm looking for advice on comparing three specific models. Let me know if I should be looking at others?

As background information, I am in Chicago and will be using two 1-Ton units to heat/cool my house + wood burning stove. House will have R 33 walls and R 50 roof. 2,100sf two story.

Asked By Seth Holmen | Mar 19 18

Thickness of Closed Cell Insulation in 2x4 Walls

I've built a 200 sq ft structure (tiny house on wheels, not inspected) with 2x4 walls and 2x6 rafters. I'm ready to insulate and have been planning on using closed cell spray foam for the whole thing to avoid moisture issues in the unvented cathedral ceiling. (I would love to use Roxul instead if it were an option). I don't have any can lights or skylights in the ceiling and only one penetration for the range hood.

My climate is 5A.

Asked By Mike Spooner | Mar 18 18

How much interior insulation would be safe

I have a building 2000sqft that I inherited in zone 6a that was built with 2x6walls 16"oc, and exterior 5/8" osb sheathing. It has house wrap(tyveck) over the sheathing then steel siding. The building is only a few yrs old but has been sitting unfinished in the inside. I want to build a 800 sqft living space into the building. The rest of the space will be a heated shop. The slab is insulated 4" xps with vapor barrier and it has foundation edge insulation 2" on the outside.

Asked By Smokey059 | Mar 19 18