Recommendations for a NO VOC durable floor finish?

We are installing white oak hardwoods everywhere in our home. Can anyone recommend the best hardwood sealer/floor finish? We are going to go with the natural color of the wood, but want a NO (not low) VOC product that is also durable. We'd prefer a matte or low sheen finish. Thank you!

Asked By Kara English | Sep 29 16

Can a ductless mini-split heat pump be installed for a walk-in cooler?

I have a contractor that installed a Fujitsu AOU12RLS3/ASU12RLS3 in a walk-in cooler for a restaurant. They claimed that it was more efficient than a traditional cooling system. Is this an acceptable installation for this system?

Asked By Kristin McAlpine | Sep 29 16

New Mitsubishi minisplit wall units

Does anyone had experience with the mitsubishis mini split MSZ-EF model (comes in 9, 12,15, and 18)? They have a slimmer profile than the prior versions. I am having trouble finding information on the EF (or Zen) series that is geared for the US, and am trying to figure out if BTU and Seer ratings are comparable to the FH range.

Thank you!
-Whitney

Asked By Whitney Scurlock | Sep 27 16

Balancing holes in the ceiling with adequate lighting

Hi all,

Building a new home in central KY, zone 4A. Trying to figure out lighting needs on the 2nd floor and trying to limit the amount of holes in the ceiling. We will not be using canned lights, so that is good, but we are still talking about fixture boxes cutting holes in the drywall. My wife wants to put a few extra lights in the bathroom and bedroom ceilings vs. me trying to get by with just one (in each room) plus (or including) the exhaust fan.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Sep 28 16

Does anyone use the wifi controllers on their mini splits?

Hi all,

I am a bit of a gadget geek (in addition to starting to become an energy nerd). I like dabbling in technology and home automation.

At our old house, I had a nest thermostat controlling a typical 2-stage furnace and a/c unit. I really enjoyed the nest functionality... setting up schedules, tracking usage, turning things off/on while on the road. Also, we lived in an inefficient house, and paid a lot for heating and cooling, so I was always looking for ways to raise/lower temperatures when we were out or sleeping, or any other ways to adjust the usage.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Sep 26 16

Site-built windows / direct glazing recomendations

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new construction residential home in climate zone 5 at 6000ft - Boulder, CO. With conditioned floor area at about 3500sqft, I need to install 20 or so fixed picture windows approx 4'x6' on the south side of the house (mainly greatroom/dining room).

Design wind load is 131mph and over all air infiltration rates of <3ACH50 need to be achieved.

The building department does NOT allow 100% vinyl windows - they need to be fiberglass/wood/aluminum/fibrex with U factor <0.30. Site built windows are allowed but this is where it gets complicated.

Asked By Bernard Lam | Sep 27 16

Ice damming — Low-slope roof — Resolvable or hopeless?

[ SUMMARY ]

I own an older home in Ontario Canada that may have been built between the 1920s to 1950s. It originally had knob & tube wiring.

Each winter I have to deal with ice damming along 2 sides of the roof, no where else. The areas in question are a Low-Slope roof (3/12 pitch, east & west side of the ridge) and a Cathedral style roof (8/12 pitch -- inside the home there is a sloping ceiling that is covered by drywall). See a photo of the home: http://imgur.com/sXUzfzG.

Asked By Jake Rabe | Aug 19 16

Choosing a wall assembly: discussion

I really tried to not ask this question since I'm aware that it has been discussed a ton, and I have read a ton on the subject. And even if I've accepted the fact that there's no clear answer, I still have to choose a wall assembly - double wall, 2x6+4"foam, SIP, or some hybrid. Around R40 (I have 12" to work with)

The top priority here is actually budget and ease of construction/quality control.

I've gone through many articles from BSC and GBA amongst many other case studies. This is how my thought process went:

Asked By Bernard Lam | Sep 27 16

Vapor barrier or no vapor barrier?

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question. I own a family campground in western NY which is open from May 1st through mid October. The main building is an A Frame with wings on both sides of the "A". There is no insulation and the inside of one of the wings is unfinished, the ceiling is roof sheathing and rafters. The building is closed during the cold winter months while I sun myself in Florida so heating is not needed. I do want to add air conditioning to make the space more usable during the hot, humid summer months. I am so confused about the info I read on how to insulate.

Asked By Richard Deschenes | Sep 29 16

Most efficient use of 3/4" polyiso on exterior (polyiso is foil faced on both sides)

My home is standard built- 2x3's 16" oc w/craft faced fiberglass ins not very well installed( gaps,etc.). I have enough 3/4" f f polyiso to cover it. FH's recent articles indicate Roxul batts would be best way to insulate, but I already have the foam.

Asked By Victor Brown | Sep 29 16