How effective is passive inlet ventilation?

I am the second owner of a house I have been retrofitting for a couple years, primarily for energy efficiency. The attic has been brought up to R65 with blown paper cellulose, the rim joists have been insulated with foam, etc. The insulation/weatherization upgrades have brought our house from approx .38 air changes per hour down to .23ach according to blower door tests. We have installed very efficient bath fans and wonder how effectively a product such as the Panasonic passive inlet vent will work in conjunction with the bath fans. The cost of a whole house HRV/ERV is more than we can afford at this point and we don't want to simply exhaust the air. Any thoughts on the passive inlet option? Much obliged.

Christopher

Asked by Christopher Ring
Posted Nov 28, 2012 6:02 PM ET

1.

Christopher,
Passive air inlets aren't necessary. To learn why, see this article: Designing a Good Ventilation System.

Posted Nov 28, 2012 6:38 PM ET

2.

Martin, thank you very much for the reading suggestion. The article and the commentary we're all very helpful. Based on my home and the experiences I have had with the tightening of the home (and the holes found) I'm confident your opinion regarding the passive inlets is correct. Best Wishes,
Christopher

Answered by Christopher Ring
Posted Nov 29, 2012 1:44 PM ET