How to remove pet odors and stains in wood subfloor?

Hi,
I would like to know what is a good approach to removing pet odors and stains in the wood subfloor. thanks

Asked by user-981606
Posted Dec 1, 2012 8:55 AM ET

1.

Louie,
I can't think of any reason why stains matter on a subfloor. The flooring will cover the stains.

If you Google "pet odor remover," you will find dozens of cleaning products offered by manufacturers.

Answered by user-756436
Posted Dec 1, 2012 10:50 AM ET

2.

thanks martin, Its great to be able to ask and get a straight forward response. Have a good one!

Answered by user-981606
Posted Dec 1, 2012 12:34 PM ET

3.

Louie,
A friend of ours, the late Jane Powell, a bungalow restoration expert in Oakland, CA, and author of many books on bungalows, advocated shellac or varnish as a means of containing the odors. As a cat owner and restorer of many old houses, she had a lot of experience at this.

Answered by user-1087436
Posted Dec 1, 2012 5:20 PM ET

4.

The problem I have noticed with odor removers is that you never know if they will do what they claim to do. If I had this issue with say just a localized area of the subfloor having been heavily affected, I would replace it. It would all depend on the size and degree of the problem. Possibly there are odor removers that have been widely used and proven to be 100% effective. If so, it might be fine to just go ahead and solve the problem with a proven product.

Answered by user-1140531
Posted Dec 1, 2012 6:36 PM ET

5.

After cleaning the sub-floor, if the odor still persists I recommend using non toxic, fast drying, water based finish. The residential grade version of these products can easily be purchased by homeowners without the need for a contractors license. I've been refinishing and installing hardwood floors for 17 years and that's my preferred method. Best of luck! :)

Answered by BrianJohnston
Posted Dec 1, 2012 6:42 PM ET

6.

Great feedback, many thanks to you all!

Answered by user-981606
Posted Dec 1, 2012 8:02 PM ET

7.

BIN is used too.

Answered by wjrobinson
Posted Dec 2, 2012 12:11 AM ET

8.

I have used BIN which is shellac based and it works, but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and rip out the subfloor.

Answered by mrbreadpuddin
Posted Dec 4, 2012 6:35 AM ET