GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to remove pet odors and stains in wood subfloor?

user-981606 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi,
I would like to know what is a good approach to removing pet odors and stains in the wood subfloor. thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Louie,
    I can't think of any reason why stains matter on a subfloor. The flooring will cover the stains.

If you Google "pet odor remover," you will find dozens of cleaning products offered by manufacturers.

2. user-981606 | | #2

thanks martin, Its great to be able to ask and get a straight forward response. Have a good one!

3. user-1087436 | | #3

Louie,
    A friend of ours, the late Jane Powell, a bungalow restoration expert in Oakland, CA, and author of many books on bungalows, advocated shellac or varnish as a means of containing the odors. As a cat owner and restorer of many old houses, she had a lot of experience at this.

4. user-1140531 | | #4

The problem I have noticed with odor removers is that you never know if they will do what they claim to do. If I had this issue with say just a localized area of the subfloor having been heavily affected, I would replace it. It would all depend on the size and degree of the problem. Possibly there are odor removers that have been widely used and proven to be 100% effective. If so, it might be fine to just go ahead and solve the problem with a proven product.

5. BrianJohnston | | #5

After cleaning the sub-floor, if the odor still persists I recommend using non toxic, fast drying, water based finish. The residential grade version of these products can easily be purchased by homeowners without the need for a contractors license. I've been refinishing and installing hardwood floors for 17 years and that's my preferred method. Best of luck! :)

6. user-981606 | | #6

Great feedback, many thanks to you all!

7. wjrobinson | | #7

BIN is used too.

8. mrbreadpuddin | | #8

I have used BIN which is shellac based and it works, but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and rip out the subfloor.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |