Helpful? 0

How to remove pet odors and stains in wood subfloor?

Hi,
I would like to know what is a good approach to removing pet odors and stains in the wood subfloor. thanks

Asked by louie rodriguez
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 09:55

Tags:

8 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Louie,
I can't think of any reason why stains matter on a subfloor. The flooring will cover the stains.

If you Google "pet odor remover," you will find dozens of cleaning products offered by manufacturers.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 11:50

Helpful? 0

thanks martin, Its great to be able to ask and get a straight forward response. Have a good one!

Answered by louie rodriguez
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 13:34

Helpful? 0

Louie,
A friend of ours, the late Jane Powell, a bungalow restoration expert in Oakland, CA, and author of many books on bungalows, advocated shellac or varnish as a means of containing the odors. As a cat owner and restorer of many old houses, she had a lot of experience at this.

Answered by Gordon Taylor
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 18:20

Helpful? 0

The problem I have noticed with odor removers is that you never know if they will do what they claim to do. If I had this issue with say just a localized area of the subfloor having been heavily affected, I would replace it. It would all depend on the size and degree of the problem. Possibly there are odor removers that have been widely used and proven to be 100% effective. If so, it might be fine to just go ahead and solve the problem with a proven product.

Answered by Ron Keagle
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 19:36

Helpful? 0

After cleaning the sub-floor, if the odor still persists I recommend using non toxic, fast drying, water based finish. The residential grade version of these products can easily be purchased by homeowners without the need for a contractors license. I've been refinishing and installing hardwood floors for 17 years and that's my preferred method. Best of luck! :)

Answered by Brian Johnston
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 19:42

Helpful? 0

Great feedback, many thanks to you all!

Answered by louie rodriguez
Posted Sat, 12/01/2012 - 21:02

Helpful? 0

BIN is used too.

Answered by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a
Posted Sun, 12/02/2012 - 01:11

Helpful? 0

I have used BIN which is shellac based and it works, but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and rip out the subfloor.

Answered by william goodwin
Posted Tue, 12/04/2012 - 07:35

Other Questions in General questions

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Matthew Michaud | May 2, 14
In General questions | Asked by Ian Osborn | Sep 2, 14
In Green products and materials | Asked by John Alberti | Aug 26, 14
In General questions | Asked by eric michael | Aug 30, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Silas Hoeppner | Sep 1, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!