Dryer Ducting Materials Requirements

Hi all,

I've been finding so much mixed information regarding this all over the net. Some places specify only rigid galvanized steel is approved for in wall and attic, other places I find aluminum or galvanized is approved.

Asked By Joe G | Sep 22 14

The differences between mass and insulation

The "I installed more attic insulation and now my AC runs more" thread got me thinking about the mass effect a bit.

Asked By Nathaniel G | Sep 15 14

Tyroc subfloor

Hi would like opinion on Tyroc subfloor for use in basement and if it is better than some of the others subfloors on the market Thanks

Asked By Brad D | Sep 21 14

Insulated slab detail "problem"

We are to build a Passive House in PA, and have "borrowed" a technique from another PH in Virginia, where part of a typical EPS under slab was substituted with a layer of perlite bags placed over just 4'' of EPS. I believe it also allowed us to reduce the slab thickness to 4'' (in the center).

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Aug 22 14

A layer of 1" XPS foam between fiberglass batts?

I live in MN and am working on a complete interior remodel. The exterior walls are 2"x6" w/ R19 fiberglass batt insulation, some with Kraft back & some with poly on the interior side. I would like to try & at least double the R value, but due to other design constraints would like to keep the additional interior intrusion to a minimum (exterior insulation is not possible).

Asked By Joshua Streblow | Sep 19 14

Thinking of going solar

I have reading alot about solar systems. I live in a 40' 5th wheel RV. Now This is what I was thinking of buying.....

6 - LG 305 watt solar panels ( 305 watt output each total 1830 watts ) ( around 75 amps output )
Magnum 5000 watt 24 volt inverter
Schneider (Xantrex) XW-MPPT-60-150V Charge Controller
4 - 6 volt 480ah Royal AGM batteries.
( Plus 3 - 30 amp fuse boxes and a junction box for the solar panels

My question is..............

I am Trying to figure out how many hours per will I be able to runs some devices on solar

Asked By Ron Davis | Sep 19 14

Would Tyvek on top of rafters and under roof sheeeting meet R806.4 for non-vented attics?

Wish to have a non-vented attic but desire blown insulation. It appears R806.4 does not allow this. Would Tyvek remove requirement for spray insulation against roof sheeting?

Asked By Elmo Saunders | Sep 22 14

Help with basement design

Hello All,

I am working on refinishing a play room in the basement that was recently damaged from water coming through the slab because my gutter was not hooked into the corrugated pipe that takes water away. So I now I want to refinish a playroom for my 1 year old son in the basement, making sure the health and safety is the priority.

Asked By leonid grossman | Sep 21 14

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

Hi:

I am trying to figure out whether & how to air seal the gap between my garage floor and drywall in my 12-year old three-story townhouse in zone 2a. The gap is generally 1/2" wide, however in many places it's less. The door shown in the photos leads to the first-floor of the house.

I think caulk (any particular kind?) is the answer, but wanted to check first.

Also curious - without performing a blower door test, how "bad" do you think this gap is from an air-sealing perspective?

Rob

Asked By Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20 14

Liability insurance - what would that cover?

1. Does liability insurance cover issues related to removing improperly installed open-cell foam in an attic on the underside of a roof (i.e. all those horror stories about roof rot, or open-cell continually off-gassing or smelling weeks after it was installed, etc..)? Or is that a different type of insurance?

2. Should I specifically ask for the details in the Liability insurance to find out specifically what it covers, is that something contractors should be willing to share?

Asked By George G | Sep 12 14