A layer of 1" XPS Foam between fiberglass batts??

I live in MN and am working on a complete interior remodel. The exterior walls are 2"x6" w/ R19 fiberglass batt insulation, some with Kraft back & some with poly on the interior side. I would like to try & at least double the R value, but due to other design constraints would like to keep the additional interior intrusion to a minimum (exterior insulation is not possible).

Asked By Joshua Streblow | Sep 19 14

Looking for guidance on how to downsize in a green way

Hello. Am looking for some guidance. My husband and I want to sell our current home and downsize to something smaller and greener. Our budget is pretty limited, though, so we're trying to figure out what the best options may be. We will likely have to pay a fair amount just to get out of our current mortgage, pay closing costs, etc. Then we've been approved for a 150,000 mortgage and with that we could:

a. buy an existing smaller home, close to nature (though those seem very hard to find in our budget)
b. buy land and put up a modular home

Asked By Jen Yost | Sep 19 14

Sheathing at the ridge vent.

I have a 12 pitch roof with 24 OC tji rafters and 5/8 deck membrane I have a 1.5 inch air channel between the rafters that vents along a continuous ridge vent. The sheathing sets back from the ridge 2". How do I attach the sheathing membrane at the ridge set back (other than the 24 OC rafters) without impeding the air flow? Is there a metal, inverted 'U' shaped bracket that I can screw the deck to?

Asked By Ron Walashek | Sep 19 14

Air and moisture proofing

I am going to be renovating a 1950’s house in Toronto, ON. It’s a 1 ½ storey that we are making 2 storey with adding addition on the back and attached garage. The plan for the 2nd storey is wrap the outside in Blueskin then cover in 3” Roxul Comfortboard IS, Strap and vinyl side. 3 of the 1st floor brick walls are to be left in place, which I also want to cover in 3” Roxul strap and vinyl side, but unsure what to use under it to keep the air and moisture out.

Asked By Dave B | Sep 18 14

Thoughts on insulating — renovation

I ‘m trying to decide what insulation value to go with on a house we are renovating in Toronto, ON. It’s a 1 ½ storey that we are making 2 storey with adding addition on the back and attached garage.

The 1st storey walls are to be left, 1950s double brick walls no insulation. The 2nd storey I would like to go with either 2x6 with R24 Roxul or 2x8 R28 or 2x4 x2 with 3xR14=R42 and 3”Roxul Comfort board IS R12 on the outside.

Asked By Dave Bentley | Sep 18 14

Liability insurance - what would that cover?

1. Does liability insurance cover issues related to removing improperly installed open-cell foam in an attic on the underside of a roof (i.e. all those horror stories about roof rot, or open-cell continually off-gassing or smelling weeks after it was installed, etc..)? Or is that a different type of insurance?

2. Should I specifically ask for the details in the Liability insurance to find out specifically what it covers, is that something contractors should be willing to share?

Asked By George G | Sep 12 14

Where did vestibules go?

With all the emphasis on energy efficient building enclosures and air sealing, what happened to the vestibule? A fair amount of thought goes into the energy penalty small leaks represent to a well sealed house, but surely opening the main entry represents a significant air change, especially if it is windy or you are talking to someone who has knocked on your door.

Asked By Malcolm Taylor | Sep 18 14

Metal building — office insulation

Architectural details indicate insulation at 16-18' ceiling heights and vertical walls with methods typical of metal buildings. Offices being built inside much like a story and a half home due to headroom at eaves verses the center of the building. Heating units and distribution is hung from roof structure above 8' suspended ceiling.

I'm of the opinion that a raftered ceiling at 10' or so with drywall and blown cellulose insulation will: -Provide a tighter envelope.
-Reduce the amount of conditioned space.

Asked By William Sauder | Sep 18 14

The differences between mass and insulation

The "I installed more attic insulation and now my AC runs more" thread got me thinking about the mass effect a bit.

Asked By Nathaniel G | Sep 15 14

Conditioning and venting a small cellar - Western NY

Gentlement, what do you advise?

Option 1 - Supply and return of conditioned air approach: Seal the cellar and exchange conditioned air a supply and return approach using 2 or more floor vents/registers between cellar and the main house envelope. Possibly use humidity controlled booster fan in a vent.

Option 2 – Supply only, positive pressure approach: Use one vent pathway only, for pushing conditioned air into the cellar (no exchange with the house). Humidity controlled in-line vent fan.

Asked By flitch plate | Sep 17 14