2 x 6 wall detail

Hello, We are planning a new home in Glenmoore, Pa. We are located in Southeastern

Asked By william dempsey | Apr 28 15

Vaulted Ceiling And Ventilation

Will the following vaulted ceiling structure cause moisture problems?
Vented shed roof 20' long, attached to house using 1/2 of a scissors truss tied to 2X6 house studs.
Trusses are made of 2X6 top and bottom members, 2X4 centers, plywood sides glued and screwed, 4/12 pitch outside 3/12 inside, placed over the wall with 2' overhang & full 11" height over wall plate.
Trusses provide 24" overhang with fully vented aluminum soffit.

Starting from the shingles moving toward the inside:

Asked By James Tonges | Apr 28 15

Blower door question

I'm going to have a blower door test done eventually. Do they have a cheap, repeatable way to block flapper dampers, used to provide makeup air for bathroom fans and a whole house fan during an blower door tests? My house is a bit experimental in using several large ones for the a whole house fan. They will have custom insulated plugs that block them off in winter, so this is more of a general question and not for my house specifically.

Asked By Eric Habegger | Apr 27 15

Installed R-60 insulation in attic... now using AC more than before

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14

Insulating between chords and webs of a truss joist

I am using 16 inch truss joists in a cathedral ceiling and wondering what is the best way to insulate the spaces between the web and chords.

Was going to create a template then cut the pieces out of 1.5 inch EPS.
I was thinking that there would be not be more than an eighth difference in variance in the trusses.
I would use batt insulation for between trusses.

What about splitting Roxul to 2 inches and then cutting?
It might be easier to work with.

The spaces are quit small.
About 8 inches tapering to nothing over 4 feet.

Any suggestions?

Asked By Aaron Gatzke | Apr 28 15

Inherited a garage foundation. Should I retrofit?

Worcester Ma area - Dampish clay soil
Building will have an insulated concrete floor in time and likely heated.

What is there - I have seen the pics and site.
footings on 11/2" stone with foundation drains to daylight
10" poured concrete - 4' tall wall
not water proofed
4'' foam both interior and exterior, sits on footing, back filled with stone/sand gravel
3' wide plastic sheet goods over the top of foundation and foam
Plastic was draped and buried both sides with 11/2" stone
Sill seal
2x10 PT top plate bolted on.

Seems in great shape - seems a good design

Asked By Howard Kelley | Apr 27 15

Suggestion for making a 30 year old home more efficient while roof and siding are off

We live in Columbus, Ohio and have a home built in 1986 with the following floors. Floorplans and photo are attached as an FYI.
- Basement: 740sf finished, 250sf crawl space
- 1st floor: 1000sf
- 2nd floor: 800sf

Asked By Chad B | Apr 25 15

Insulating a Quonset hut - (Can we make a sandwich?)

Imagine an arched metal Quonset hut, such as an older aircraft hanger. The skin of the building is structural; there is no structure under. The buildings are a set of panels which are bolted together, weatherstripped to form an arch. Each arch is bolted to the next to form the building.

Many of these structures are used a workshops or garages, we would like to use one as a studio. Typically these are insulated using either spray foam or fiberglass that is pinned to the shell, which looks somewhat like a quilt.

Asked By Doug Reid | May 4 12

Improve efficiency and comfort of this room?

Please see the 2 attached pictures of a room that I would like to improve the efficiency of. The room is between the garage and the main house. I don't like coming in from the January cold only to be greeted by a cold room. I dislike paying the oil man even more that.

Asked By Michael Lee | Apr 22 15

How does foil facing on attic side of roof sheathing reduce attic heat gain?

I thought that in order for foil surfaces to reflect heat, they need an air space 3/4" - 1" and that the foil must face the source of heat (in this case - outside)

Asked By Aaron Becker | Apr 26 15