GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Article written 10+ years ago about P.U.D. of small homes in Portland, Oregon

huskyn69kp | Posted in General Questions on

Article written 10+ years ago about P.U.D. (planned unit development) of small homes in Portland, Oregon.
Need copy of article, please.
Sustainable homes on 1.0 acre infill lot.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Published where?

2. homedesign | | #2

probably not what you were looking for
    but still some very nice little cottages
    and "pocket neighborhoods"
    http://www.rosschapin.com/Projects/PocketNeighborhoods/ThirdStreetCottages/ThirdStreet.html

3. user-1087436 | | #3

I distinctly remember an article in Fine Homebuilding, more than 10 years ago (more like the mid-'90s), that showed a clustered neighborhood of cottages in Oregon. However, they were in Eugene, not Portland. They were developed by a man who had inherited the property. I'm sure of this. I was quite impressed with them, and I studied their construction closely. It was in one of the annual Homes issues of FH.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Thanks, Gordon.

OK, detectives. We're getting closer. Now we have the name of the publication -- that helps. We have the location of the project -- that helps. Anyone have any more clues?

My online search of the Fine Homebuilding archives didn't yield any results -- perhaps because the article is so old that it isn't archived.

5. homedesign | | #5

google search turned up this Architect
    http://edarchitect.qwestoffice.net/

might be
    FHB 1999 issue 121 page 110

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

John,
    I doubt it -- that article is about a cottage, not a neighborhood.

7. user-1087436 | | #7

I'm pretty sure the article appeared in the early '90s: too early for online archiving, and probably too early for Douglas Powell's original question. And he did say Portland, not Eugene.

8. user-1087436 | | #8

I've found it in the FH archives online. Article was called "A Cluster of Cottages,." by Daniel Milton Hill and William Randall. FH, Issue #59, "Houses," 1990. Page 68. I couldn't get the article, of course, to read online, but that's the one. William Randall comes up on Google as an architect in Eugene, and there's a reference on his website to the article in question.

9. GBA Editor
  10. huskyn69kp | | #10

Thanks fellows !!!!!! Right on . . have purchased the DVD that should have this issue . . will receive tomorrow altho I would prefer the hard copy . . but shipping is 14 days out . .

Again many thanks. . . have a great holiday season . .

Best,
    Doug Powell

11. user-1087436 | | #11

Excellent. Glad I could help. And pretty good, I should say, that I could remember something from 22 years ago. Now, if I could only remember why I just walked into this room...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |