Need 2 foot square of vapor barrier

I'm planning to take out the 50s era milk chute in our house tomorrow. This will leave me with a whole between 12-20 inches square. I'll put plywood of the same thickness and vinyl siding.

I'm fine on the vinyl siding and sheathing, plus a piece of fiberglass and then drywall. For all I have pieces of leftovers or can buy in small quantities.

I'm stuck on what goes between vinyl and sheathing. I don't want to buy a huge roll of tyvek for such a small area. I need this for tomorrow, day after at the latest.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

Asked By Jeremy M | Jan 20 17

Mini-split v Package Unit Humidity Control; Sizing and Configuration

I have a 1920's house in Tallahassee, Florida - 2x4 frame construction with shiplap siding, no vapor barrier or insulation except in the attic and one wall that was installed later (originally a screened in porch), and a fair number of windows. I have sealed the floor and walls of the dirt crawlspace using heavy plastic with vapor-barrier tape at the seams, but there is still appreciable air flow between the foundation wall and the girders. The main floor is ~1,600 sq. ft.; approximately ~600 sq. ft. of the attic has been finished into a bedroom and bath.

Asked By Ellery Sedgwick | Jan 20 17

Want Unlimited Downloads For IPhone? LISTED BELOW ARE 7 Tips To Find The Best IPhone Download

Apple is preventing a court docket order obtained by the National Bureau of Investigation last month, which requires the business to create new software to disable passcode protection and allow entry to the phone used by one of the San Bernardino, California shooters, Rizwan Farook. When the net is at its infancy, many people thought it was cool to develop webpages with blinking words and neon colors. With regards to smartphones, it truly is hard to better the new Samsung Omnia 7 with its great styling and superb at all times performance.

Asked By Augustus Bowling | Jan 20 17

Change Windows 8 Business To Windows 8 Specialist

The particular attraction behind the Google android Tablet is in phrases of its apps, together with the millions of tunes as well as textbooks, besides the thousands regarding movies. Android 5.0 system image above the air (OTA) update for ADT-1 Designer Kit OTA revisions will appear over the next few days. A Google spokesperson said less than 10 % of devices run on the prone Android operating system.

Asked By Maxie Broun | Jan 20 17

Why insulate stemwalls?

For slab-on-grade construction there are 3 insulation locations - edge, sub-slab, and stemwall (down to the footings). In FHB 245, Martin says it is important to insulate stemwalls to a minimum R10. Code says a minimum of 4ft of R10 in any combination of vertical, sub-slab, or exterior skirt. Building Science shows an edge and sub-slab (no stemwall) insulation diagram here. So why stemwall insulation? Is it to prevent heaving below the slab?

Asked By Matthew Michaud | Dec 21 16

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes an energy efficient, dual HVAC/ ventilation system that would satisfy both of my needs and eliminate the need for 2 duct systems?

I'm planning a moderate size home in SoCal in a semi-desert climate with adequate thermal mass. The home will have a tight envelope and my understanding is that some sort of ventilation system with separate duct work is required.

I was planning on an air-source heat pump to meet heating and cooling needs, but this will only be used in the summer and winter months mostly.

Asked By Paul Minotto | Jan 20 17

Mount outdoor unit on the wall or on the ground?

I am close to installing 3 fujitsu mini split units at our home under construction. Two outdoor units will be installed near each other, with the third installed in a different area of the house. The HVAC installer asked if I wanted to mount them on the wall or on the ground. I can't decide which I would prefer. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

I live in central KY, zone 4A. We don't get much deep snow around here, maybe once every 10-20 years.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jan 18 17

New house build, SIPs?

New member here, we are planning to build a new house this summer and I'm exploring my options for wall systems. I plan to do the framing myself. House will be roughly 2500 sqft in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Not the coldest place to build but not far off, and just for kicks it gets pretty hot and fairly humid here in summer as well.

Asked By Lance Peters | Jan 15 17

Flashing tape for roof decking

We build houses for a Habitat for Humanity affiliate in a hurricane prone area along the Texas Gulf coast.
At a program on the FORTIFIED building certification, we saw something that intrigued us. They suggested taping the seams of the roof decking. This would prevent water damage in the event that the shingles were blown off in a wind storm. We started using such materials on the last few houses.

Asked By Steve Young | Jan 19 17

ZIP Window Detail with Exterior Insulation

On ZIP's website, they have window details which appear to combine the flashing/window buck of an outie window, but it is shown flashing into a WRB (in this case the ZIP sheathing) located behind the exterior insulation.

Asked By Derrick Krienert | Jan 15 17