insulating a new block house

Like all questions (at least here in Citrus County, Florida) this question is also has to consider building codes.
I am planning to build a block home. I would like to take advantage of the thermal mass capabilities by insulating the exterior rather than the interior. Keep in mind I am building on a shoestring (and a worn one at that). I would like to put foam panels on the wall with horizontal furring strips (to attach metal siding), or foam that can be stucco'd over. Will I need tyvek too? Open to suggestions for method and materials.
Jim

Asked By D James Fox | Feb 18 18

How exterior air seal at chimney to wall interface? Chimney spalling.

Using a FLIR One, I've found a major source of air leakage into my house from around the fireplace mantel. Using a homemade blower door and a smoke pen I've discovered that the air is in fact entering from the exterior chimney to sheathing interface. While I've been able to find extensive discussion and documentation on this site how to handle through attic air gaps for a chimney, it's been less clear to me how to handle this detail on the exterior wall to chimney brick intersection.

Asked By Mike McLaine | Feb 18 18

Insulating a raised slab

Alright, so here’s one that I can’t find in the great treasure troves of this site: how to handle insulating my raised slab on our new house. Quick details on the project: climate zone 6, 3500sqft, two story, zip-r external insulation/sheeting (R6), fiberglass batts in 2x6 walls, combination vented roof w/ R60 cellulose and unvented roof with R50 foam, low U 4th surface fiberglass windows, and a combination of slab on grade and vented crawl w/ R48 foam. The concrete will be polished as finish floor in slab areas. Heating is entirely mini-split, no in floor radiant.

Asked By User-6804212 | Feb 17 18

Crawlspace Beam Layout

Hi Friends,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for some feedback on my plans on fixing some floor bounce/sag.

House layout is pretty simple, 62x32 with one corner consisting of a 20x20 slab garage. Floor Joists are 2x10s, spaced 16" on center. They span almost 16'. The house has long been neglected, and the crawl was filled with moisture for years. Poor landscape drainage, washing machine leak, and a dryer vented to the crawlspace led to sagging floor joists and a main beam with rotten ends. Plus plenty of mold.

Asked By alexallo | Feb 16 18

Branch box location question

Branch Box for Mini-split system serving upstairs living quarters. The manufacturer says: don't install in a hot and humid location for long periods of time. They also say: Branch Box is indoor use only. I'm in CZ 3, central Oklahoma. Can I put this in an attic in my location? I would say no. Should I try to get it inside a mechanical room location down on the first floor(near 1st floor ceiling/2nd floor floor)? I would still have to run all the branch lines through the floor and up the walls to the attic and then to the air handler locations.

Asked By Inger Peters | Oct 27 17

Slab on Grade in Climate Zone 6

Hey all,

So watching a bunch of Matt Risinger, he's always talking about slab on grade builds, and how we have basements in the far north etc. I know these topics have been brought up before.

I'm in Climate zone 6, Toronto. I'm designing a 100sqft satellite building, or you could call it a shed with all the bells and whistles of plumbing, elec, heating etc.

I'd like to do a frost protected slab on grade for this to incorporate infloor radiant hydronic heating. The slab will essentially act as the radiator, and be the base for the Insulated perimeter wood stud walls.

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18

Hot water recirculation loop with PEX homerun system?

Has anyone played with the idea of doing a hot water recirculation loop with a pex manifold homerun system?

My desire for a recirc loop is mostly inspired by Gary Klein and my reading/watching of his work. Although he doesn't recommend a home run system because you can't recirculate hot water.... well, I think it might be possible. Maybe I'll sound crazy here, but what can I say, I love systems design.

I see this as 2 issues:

1. Is it doable?

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18

ERV vs fresh air intake

So my HVAC design is looking like I will do a fancoil on each floor.

I'm seriously considering going with an air-to-water chiller for the outdoor unit and a spacepak aircell on each floor, 4 in total.

These units have a 4" round fresh air port that you can program a percentage of fresh air.

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18

Basement vapour barrier

Hi,

Asked By user-6994354 | Feb 17 18

Cold weather performance reports from minisplit owners

This morning I drove to town for a dentist appointment, and the digital outdoor thermometer on my Subaru bottomed out at -28°F as I drove through Lyndonville, Vermont.

During the past week, the thermometer at our house hasn't risen about 0°F, even during the afternoon hours. Of course, all of northern New England and the upper Midwest has been experiencing similar temperatures this past week.

So I'm taking this opportunity to ask owners of minisplits to report on how well their systems are working during the recent cold snap.

Asked By Martin Holladay | Jan 2 18