Questions, then more questions, then confusion

Love that GBA presents on so many topics. Is it possible, though at the conclusion of a thread for GBA advisors to condense many of the varying inputs into some kind of general consensus guidelines on the topic? Perhaps a detailed library could be referenced with more than drawings.

Is it just me or do other people stop when they see a thread they want to read because they're not sure if they have the time and stamina it will take to delve into all the asides and redirects that will likely leave them with more information but less resolved on the topic.

For instance, in reading on reclaiming heat from domestic hot water use. I think it is good to limit the distance to a fixture from the hot water heater and to use 3/8" pipe in home runs to each fixture save a tub where more volume is needed. After that though I am not sure if adding a recovery or alternate system is a good thing? I would hope the solution after installation would save more than a couple of bucks and work as simply as possible.

Asked by tom ruben

1.

Check out the blog, Q & A spotlight by Scott Gibson.

I think you'll find what you are looking for.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/QA-spotlight

Answered by Kevin Dickson, MSME

2.

Tom,
Your suggestion is an excellent one; fortunately, GBA implemented your suggestion 3 years ago, by establishing the Q&A Spotlight series. We now have about 100 articles in this series.

For more information on shortening the "long wait" for hot water at a lav or a shower far from the water heater, see the following articles:

Waiting for Hot Water

GBA Encyclopedia: Efficient supply layouts

GBA Encyclopedia: Hot-Water Circulation

All About Water Heaters

Marc Rosenbaum: Getting Into Hot Water — Part 3

Inefficient Hot Water Piping Layouts Waste Hot Water

Finally, I should note that I have just finished writing an article for Fine Homebuilding on this topic. Look for the article to appear in a few months.

Edited Sat, 12/08/2012 - 08:09.

3.

Thank you Kevin and Martin.

How are the articles organized within The Q&A Spotlight series? I don't see an index or table of contents. Do I need to scroll through the titles of all 100 articles to see if the series even has my topic?

Answered by tom ruben

4.

Tom,
There are three ways to navigate these articles:
1. The GBA search box.
2. The "Related Articles" boxes that appear in some articles.
3. A Google search, this way: "Green Building Advisor" +"topic you are searching for"

By the way, I don't think that there is a Q&A Spotlight article on the topic you are interested in.

Edited Sat, 12/08/2012 - 14:17.