Window sill pan question

Hi all,

I am about to install my windows and will be making my own sloped sill pan. I will be using bevel cedar and screwing on a thin back dam as well. Over this, will go the flashing tap.

Regarding the back dam, should it go behind the window (interior side) or under the end of the window? I would think it would be best practice to have it go behind the window. Only downside I can see is making interior taping more difficult.

Please see pictures on which method I should use.

Thank you!

Asked By Tommy87 | Jun 28 17

Cheapest way to build net zero house?

Hi. I have some questions about building an affordable net zero energy house. I will present a basic outline of my plan, and then ask some questions. In addition, I welcome any comments on any parts of the plan which could use adjustment.

Note: I am not a professional and only know what little I know from browsing these and other websites.

Asked By user-6877304 | Jun 28 17

Rigid foam on top of studs

I'm currently in zone 5 redoing a brick ranch home. The wall from the outside to inside is brick, plywood, black sheeting, R-11 and drywall. All of the drywall is down and wall cavities are exposed. The customer wants to use R-15 Roxul insulation and add rigid insulation on top of the studs with taped seams and drywall over that. I know some people do that but not sure which type of rigid foam insulation to use in order to prevent moisture inside the wall. I think we would like to use 1" rigid foam to make sure we can attach drywall correctly.

Asked By tkaj | Jun 28 17

How to prevent moisture/condensation in building prohibited from using insulation?

I am building a small cottage that by code is prohibited from using any insulation (so as to prevent its use as a full time dwelling). It is a simple wood framed structure with drywall interiors that has A/C but not heat and will be used only in the summers (northeast US climate).

Asked By bsgsjkbn23450 | Jun 28 17

Capillary break product that will soak into concrete?

I asked a before about the need for a capillary break between the footing and the poured 5,000 lb. basement wall. I was told that I still need one. My foundation company has documentation that states it isn't need for 5,000 lb. concrete. They agree to put a capillary break in on top of the footing if it will soak in. They said one customer put Thompsons water seal on.

Is there a good product that would serve this purpose? Hopefully readily available.

Jim

Asked By Jim Sweazey | Jun 28 17

Pros/Cons of upgrading to 5 stage heat pump from 1 stage?

My residence currently has a Carrier 1-stage heat pump system. Other HVAC components include: LifeBreath HRV195 balanced airflow ventilation unit; Honeywell DR120 bypass return air DEhumidifier; and a bypass activated carbon & HEPA air filtration unit. Each of those components have their own integral 1-speed air fan. Dealing with the different cfm created by each of those components makes it a challenge for my HVAC service company to achieve "balanced" airflow for the HRV and keeping the HVAC system static pressure within specifications.

Asked By Terry Sopher Sr | Jun 28 17

Dealing with multiple WRBs and air barriers with external foam board

Building a home on the edge of zone 4 & 5 (in zone 5) with avg 60" annual rainfall and minimal snow. CA building prices are crazy (~$275/sqft by avg contractor in area), and this is our final home so want to maximize durability and longevity in a reasonably buildable green home. The buildable area on the lot is small, so need a thin wall to get the needed square footage while allowing a garage. Planning 2" PolyIso over 2x4 framing and 7/16 OSB, then 1x4 rainscreen and stucco for the walls.

Asked By Mitchell Costa | Jun 29 17

Is the new Insignia TG2 window a solid high-end window?

We're looking at replacing original builder's grade windows (installed 1996) with the new Insignia TG2 produced by Alside. Apex is the company representing and I've seen all types of reviews on Apex. My question is not about Apex but rather the window itself. According to the specs it appears to be a very good window. We're considering replacing 18 windows with the Insignia TG2 for $10,000 including installation. Would like your opinion on the window. it's made of 100% UPVC, triple pane, R7, G8 trim coil, and a true slope. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Asked By Morale | Jun 28 17

How much of a gap should I allow in exterior plywood sheathing to allow for expansion and contraction?

Thank you to everyone who has posted and responded to related questions and gotten me to the point where I can more or less ask this question in an intelligible manner.

Asked By Joel Fyke | Jun 24 17

What is minisplit short cycling? Turndown?

I understand that a "somewhat" oversized mini split will generally run at a more efficient rate, as opposed to an undersized mini split, which will run full-out, and therefore be less efficient. It sounds as if the problems with oversized mini splits would be 1) wasted money on oversize equipment, and 2) decreased dehumidification, due to the equipment not running enough. Am I about right, so far?

Asked By Ben Rush | Jun 25 17