Insulating Wall Between two Different Slab Elevations

I have a basement with 2 different slab elevations with 2' differential between the two. There will be a stair with 3 risers connecting them. I am insulating the basement from the inside. We are getting ready to pour the slab next week and in preparation I have placed 4" of EPS on top of the sub-slab stone. I am trying to decide how to best insulate the concrete wall between the 2 elevations where the stair will be.

Asked By Jonathan Lawrence CZ 4A New Jersey | May 24 18

Difficulty finding a modulating multi-zone air-source heat pump

I need to finalize the equipment selection for my current build. My engineer along with Mitsubishi spec'd a City Multi (VRF) PUMY outdoor unit with multiple indoor units. Unfortunately, this outdoor unit does not have hyper-heat, which means that in order to meet the 99% heating requirements, it will be grossly oversized for cooling. While the compressor can operate down to low-20% of rated capacity, that is still much higher than an MXZ minimum operation for the same sized unit.

Asked By Jonathan Lawrence CZ 4A New Jersey | May 21 18

Vaulted / Cathedral Ceiling -- Unvented

Hi, I'm in the process of building a cabin near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I can't tell for sure since the climate zone map is for the US only, but I'm guessing this would be equivalent to Zone 6B or 7B.

Asked By User-7075735 | May 23 18

Should I insulate and/or heat my unfinished basement?

I have a 100 year old house in Georgia with an unfinished basement. We have no intentions of finishing the basement but we do want to use it for storage and a place for our dogs to sleep when we are at work. The floor is a concrete slab with a vapor barrier under the slab. The foundation walls are mostly above grade and are a mix of brick piers with brick and cmu infill. There are currently no water issues. The walls have several foundation vents that we close in winter.

Asked By J Greene | May 24 18

How do we hire a green building advisor on an hourly basis?

Does greenbuildingadvisor maintain a directory of recommended consultants?

Asked By Joe Martin | May 24 18

Ducted/concealed mini-split without supply or return plenums - straight out the wall?

I'm planning to install a "ducted"/concealed Daikin LV unit on the second story of my house. I haven't been able to find any definitive answers on plenum requirements, or lack there of.

the plan includes hanging the unit from unistrut in the hallway, observing all of the required tolerances for access and space around the unit. A sofit will then be built around the unit.

Asked By neockder | May 23 18

Ecodrain Drain Water Heat Recovery

I first learned about Drain Water Heat Recovery pipes here on GBA and wanted to give back a very small token of appreciation in a short review.

I recently ordered and installed Ecodrain's V1000 and have been quite impressed with it. It's near the top of the CSA B55.1 list for highest efficiency and the price is quite reasonable:
3-inch diameter models:

VT1000-3-36 .......... $469
VT1000-3-48 .......... $524--my model
VT1000-3-60 .......... $564
VT1000-3-72 .......... $614

4-inch diameter models:

VT1000-4-36 .......... $549
VT1000-4-48 .......... $644

Asked By pat beurskens | May 22 18

Water cooled refrigerator coils

This may seem weird, but I’m curious...

We just bought acreage in west central Florida and we’re planning our home. We plan on making everything as energy efficient as we possibly can, and I ve been researching geothermal ground loop heat pumps.

As I’m grabbing some leftovers out of the fridge, I feel hot air being blown on my feet from the condenser coils underneath. At the same time I hear the AC kick on outside. The lightbulb flickers on above my head... I’m running the AC to cool the room that is being warmed by the fridge...

Asked By LT.Son | May 19 18

Fasteners for concrete, brick, and CMUs

For an upcoming article on fastening various materials to concrete walls, brick walls, and CMU walls, I'd like to hear about your favorite fasteners.

I'm looking at fastening three types of materials:
1. 1x4 furring strips directly to a concrete wall, brick wall, or CMU wall.
2. 2x4 furring strips directly to a concrete wall, brick wall, or CMU wall.
3. Continuous rigid foam (2 inches thick or more) directly to a concrete wall, brick wall, or CMU wall.

I will also look at a fourth situation:

Asked By Martin Holladay | May 23 18

Spray foam questions

Hello all, thanks for any help in advanced.

Asked By Stanger133 | May 20 18