GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Plumbing, framing, and energy efficiency

user-1087436 | Posted in General Questions on

Today I was going through some old stuff (the moving van arrives in 9 days), and I came across an article that I cut out of Fine Homebuilding in 1988(!!). It’s called, “Framing with the Plumber in Mind,” and it talks about planning in order to avoid plumber butchery in floor joists, etc. It occurred to me that lot has happened since 1988, with things like PEX, advances in insulation, penetration sealing, etc., and yet this still is probably something that must be addressed.

My question: Is there a more up-to-date source of information (online, perhaps) on this topic? How have modern energy standards changed this? Are builders better able to avoid the kind of plumbing/framing butchery that I read about? (Are pigs learning to fly?)

I ask this because I’m going to be contracting to build a new house in 2013, as energy efficient as I can make it, and I want to know as much as I can going in. Any ideas welcome.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Gordon,
    If you want to frame a building with energy efficiency in mind, you'll probably gravitate toward Advanced Framing. For more information on this topic, see:

Energy-Efficient Framing, a.k.a. Advanced Framing

The Pros and Cons of Advanced Framing

Concerning the advice provided in the 1988 article about plumbing rough-ins, I think that the advice still applies. Whether a house is energy efficient or inefficient, it's still important to avoid placing any floor joists directly under the middle of your toilet.

If any GBA readers are interested in reading the article that Gordon is talking about, it is available online: Framing With The Plumber in Mind.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |