Perlite vs. rigid foam insulation

Hello have a question that will probably generate many opinions, i am building a new house zone 5 , was planing on using rigid foam under slab , but some one recommended that i use Perlite in bags instead , says
1) easier to work with
2) easier to pour slab over as you can level things out with sand
3) cost about the same or cheaper then ridged Foam
4) has better R value

Asked By Boris Rubinstein | Feb 8 16

I have a crawl space with cold joints that are inadequately sealed and ooze water. How can I seal them?

I would like to do it healthfully and effectively so I don't have to be concerned about water intrusion in the future.

Asked By Kevin Krafft | Feb 7 16

Best insulation for indoor air quality?

I cannot decide on a type of insulation for our new home. I want something that is the safest for indoor air quality. I am worried about the off gassing of spray foam, but am also worried about the borate used in blown in cellulose (mainly the reproductive effects of borate). Please help! I want energy efficiency, but indoor air quality is of primary concern. Thank you!

Asked By Carolyn Farrow | Feb 8 16

Will this exterior wall system work for my tiny house?

I live in South Dakota in zone 6a (Sioux Falls). In a few months time I will be constructing a tiny house on wheels using 18 gauge structural studs. Starting in the wall cavity will be sprayed closed cell foam. On the exterior sides of the studs (and any other exposed metal areas- the steel trailer) I plan on using strips of 1 inch thick xps rigid foam with a compressive strength of 60 lbs/square inch. Also I will use steel strapping all around the outside to give it some shear strength and prevent racking.

Asked By Damon Beck | Feb 7 16

Infrared panel heat: any reviews?

I am heating my zone 6 2300sf house with minisplits and a propane fireplace. The bathrooms, however are more isolated in the floor plan. I had been considering supplemental infloor electric radiant or kickspace heaters until I discovered ceiling- or wall-mounted infrared heating panels. The smallest 250w glass or steel units look like they easily heat 50sf rooms. Some are even available as a mirror. It looks like an efficient way to occasionally heat rooms that have air pulled into the HRV. Are there any good independent reviews out there on the concept?

Asked By Edward Mallett | Feb 8 16

Trying to warm up an uninsulated concrete garage floor

Kenora Ontario Canada P9N0E7
Climate zone 7

Background- I have a 24 x 30 ft garage with 2x6 wood framed walls (R20 fiberglass batts in stud bays) and a raised heel truss attic (8 ft walls) the ceiling has R50 blown fiberglass.
The man door is located on the south wall and the two 7x9 insulated overhead doors are on the north wall...the ridge of the 6/12 pitched roof runs E-W.
The concrete pad is a 4 inch thickened edge slab over 6 inches of compacted stone; the earth is well drained and slopes away rapidly in all directions.
I use 1/2 the building for parking and 1/2 for a shop.

Asked By Tim Brown | Feb 7 16

Best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling? Please help!

I built my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16

Homemade dog house insulated panels

I'm having to make a homemade dog house for my rather large Akbash mountain dog family (papa, mama and 12 wk old pup). I live in Region 5, western Colorado. I need a floor panel, roof panel, and 4 wall panels. I had this design for making the panels utilizing empty water bottles. What do you think? Will this work well enough to keep in heat and block outside cold air? I wish I had some idea of the R value. Cut 42" long x 36" tall 1/2" thick thick plywood panels. Glue 2x4s around inside edge of each wall panel perimeter, on the wide (4") side.

Asked By Andy Nels | Feb 7 16

Tiny house building -- mold and off-gassing prevention

Hi, I am going to be building a tiny house DIY. I have not built walls myself, but have done most everything else in a house I had owned, taking it down to the studs to rebuild. One of the reasons I am building a tiny house is that I have extreme health needs. Because of lung disease and a mast cell disorder, I react to small amounts of mold, environmental pollutants (formaldehyde, cigarette smoke), foods, etc. Since these issues have become graver, I have lived in just one place I would consider relatively safe, my current home.

Asked By Emmy Haus | Feb 8 16

Using a second water heater as an indirect fired tank?

I have two water heaters. A 50 gallon HTP Phoenix Light Duty propane water heater, and a 50 gallon electric resistance water heater. The two heaters are plumbed in series, electric water heater first, then propane. To make a long story short, some things didn't work out as originally planned, and now I'm paying an extra $15-20/month (and wasting source energy) because I'm heating up a bunch of water with electric resistance right next to a high efficiency propane water heater.

I'd like to stop doing that. I have a couple of extra constraints:

Asked By Tim C | Feb 8 16