GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hello! I am a learning sustainability student and am inquiring about photovoltaic panels and which kind/size of breaker box to use.

radsustainability1 | Posted in General Questions on

If there is a link or explanation about breaker box size and PV arrays, I would truly appreciate it. I will look through the forums and internet sources, but am so grateful for the knowledge that is found on this wonderful site!! Thank you so much for your support, I truly value it and so does our organization, and the Earth.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. squibt | | #1

Look at Home Power...a subscription is cheap and the articles will answer all of your questions.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Evergreen,
    There are two basic types of PV systems: off-grid systems and grid-tied systems. In general, homes with PV systems have exactly the same type of circuit breaker box or load center as homes without PV.

In addition to standard circuit breakers, however, homes with PV arrays require additional disconnects to permit safe servicing of equipment and to prevent overloaded wires in the event of damage or emergencies. You can read more here:

Making the Supply Side Connection

Load-Side Connections

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |