Townhouse common wall upgrades

I had a kitchen fire in my Gaithersburg, Maryland townhouse (about 20 miles north of Washington DC). The insurance is going to pay to have the walls on the first floor removed and have the insulation replaced. The townhouse was built as part of a quad in 1986, with the main wall facing south, and east and west walls connected to neighbors, and half of my northern wall is connected to my neighbor behind me (the other half faces the central atrium).

Asked By Carl Fosler | May 5 16

Insulating Two Crawl Spaces

A friend is having some work done on his old house in upstate New York, Climate Zone 5/6. There are two crawlspace issues.

Asked By Chris Ermides | May 4 16

Preparing for future solar panels

Building a new home and want to install solar panels at some point in the future. They won't be in the budget initially, when the house is built, but I want to prepare for them and make sure I don't miss something during the construction process that I will have to redo.

The panels will not go on the roof, they will go out in the yard or on an outbuilding or pergola, so I don't have to worry about running wires from the roof to the basement. However, do I need a particular type of breaker panel? Do I need to spec certain equipment?

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Apr 25 16

Photovoltaics: String vs. Microinverters

CZ-4. Southern Indiana. New Construction Ranch. Garage Roof faces 30 deg west of south (210 deg). NO shading from trees now or in future. About 36 Grid-Tied Panels. No battery back-up. A purchase arrangement, not a lease type transaction. Three major installers in the metropolitan Louisville, KY market.

Two competing PV installers. One for Microinverters ; one for Strings with single inverter/optimizer.

Asked By Ted Cummings | Apr 30 16

Comfortboard pricing - Triple $ per R vs foamboard??

Hi all,

Asked By Keith H | Apr 21 16

Can someone explain the science behind mid-wall vapor barrier on a double stud wall?

In order to save money, I've switched my wall assembly last minute from using exterior rock wool board to a double stud wall construction. I would like to speak with my county inspector about using this approach to make sure I don't have problems during construction. I'm struggling to understand how I'm going to explain how a vapor barrier on the back side of the inside wall is a good idea.

I'm in climate zone 5, and here is my intended wall assembly:

From inside-to-out:
GWB
Insulweb netting (affixed to stud to hold cellulose)

Asked By Adam Peterson | May 4 16

Interior vs. exterior air barrier

Wondering what the consensus is on the interior vs. exterior air barrier issue is? I am considering this question in light of a double-stud, dense-pack cellulose wall.

Marc Rosenbaum has indicated that he prefers exterior air barriers, because they are so much simpler to execute (no zig-zagging around floor systems, etc).

Asked By Burke Stoller | May 4 16

New slab with radiant heat

As part of our remodel north of San Francisco (ZIP code 94941), we are converting about 700SF of our lower level into living space. The existing slab has been removed we excavated a few additional inches to increase our ceiling height, and we are getting ready to put back a new 5" slab, in which we will also add radiant heat tied to the rebar.

Asked By Torsten Budesheim | Apr 22 16

Paint as an Air Barrier

CZ-4. Net Zero Energy Slab-On-Grade Ranch. Planning for 0.1ACH50. Huber Zip-R sheathing.

Asked By Ted Cummings | May 2 16

Is this my best foundation choice?

First off, Green Building Advisor has been invaluable in my research to design my future home and have found it well worth the membership cost. So thank you, to all you who have made this site what it is.

I am planning on building a 1700 sq ft ranch style straw bale house near Cortez Co (climate zone 5B). Currently I am sketching up layouts, making lots of notes on building techniques, choosing home fixtures (doors/windows), HVAC systems and researching different build options, before I take my plans to an architect so he can refine and incorporate them.

Asked By Ken Hodge | Apr 29 16