Siding with a step

I have an addition that I have added to my home and am now in the process of finishing up the furring for the rain screen and getting ready to install siding.

The issue I've run into is that I am using vinyl siding to match the original house, but the addition has a basement and the main portion is slab on grade. Because of this, the addition has a rim board that extends roughly 12" below the original slab/sill plate line.

When I go to install vinyl siding the starter strip on the old portion will not line up with the addition.

Asked By Mike M | Oct 22 16

Sun Bandit solar water heater

Hello. I was reading the article by Martin Holladay entitled "Solar Thermal is Really, Really Dead" and enjoyed the discussions going back and forth on the topic of solar water heating methods. I am planning on building a small 600sq' SIP cabin in the area of Nelson BC (climate zone 6) next year and I found this product listed as being one of the most efficient for heating domestic hot water on the Canada Energy Guide site. It says it can also be used for space heating via a radiant floor system or perhaps radiators.

Asked By Scott Wilson | Oct 21 16

While I love radiators, I hate using fossil fuels

I live in an 1890 Victorian in Southern Pennsylvania, heated by oil. While I love radiators, I hate using fossil fuels! Is there a way to use green technology to use less oil? My methods to date have been uncomfortable - installing a wood stove.

Is there a way of boosting the boiler with green energy? Would geothermal help? I'm newly divorced and ignorant about systems!
Thanks, Susan

Asked By Susan Hanway | Aug 28 16

Best practice for stone siding over stick built walls

We are planning to apply 4 inch thick rubble stone siding over the lower level of our daylight basement home. We had originally planned for ICF at the lower level walls, partly to mitigate rain water and inward vapor drive risk brought on from the stone (which is south facing). As it turns out the ICF represents a substantial cost increase and we are considering alternative wall options (stick-built) for the above grade portion of the lower level wall.

Asked By Sean Hembree | Oct 22 16

HRV duct set up

I am getting ready to install my HRV. I have been contemplating exhaust in the two bathrooms, three bedrooms, and kitchen area, with only one supply duct in the great room near my mini-split. 1300 square feet, one level, 3 1/2" exterior foam, 6" fiberglass batts, unvented sealed crawl space. The design person at the HRV store is said I should have supply to all bedrooms and just exhaust the bathrooms/kitchen. Climate Zone 7, so I am a little concerned about supplying all that fresh air to the bedrooms in the dead of winter.

Asked By Steve Vigoren | Sep 6 16

Air to water heating: flat plate with water storage or long copper pipe in water storage?

in an effort to make our house more comfortable, and to eliminate the drift of air we currently are in the opportune to raise the living room floor with a sub-floor and by doing so, include in-floor radiant heat.

plan is to:

raise living room floor (440 SF) by about 14 inches, with standard plywood and 2x12 timber.

on top, install R10 EPS insulation with 5/8 PEX/O2 barrier 6 inches on center, encased in 2.5 inches of sand/cement and 15 mm laminate flooring

Asked By Kevin Kersten | Oct 22 16

Zone 3 minimum wall assembly

New construction proposed 2x4 wall assembly.
Latex paint, 1/2" Sheetrock, BIB fiberglass, OSB, Tyvek wb,1" gap, stone or smart siding.
Doesn't this just meet the minimum requirements in Zone 3?

Asked By Mike Beckham | Oct 22 16

Reducing wintertime ventilation

I have an Ultra Aire ventilator and dehumidifier (80 cfm) and a Panasonic ERV (20 cfm) that deliver outdoor air into my 3,200 square foot home. The Ultra Aire is installed in the basement and dumps air into a space near the central air handler. The Panasonic is on the second floor.

During the cooling season, I can easily maintain indoor humidity between 40% and 50%. During the winter, levels typically are in the mid 20% to 30% range.

Asked By Steve Knapp | Oct 22 16

can you create a blog on infrared heating panels?

People would benefit from knowing how infrared heating panels are more efficient, comfortable, and safer than conventional heating methods.

Asked By Iona Jonasson | Oct 19 16

Zone 3 roof dampening concern unvented attic

New home construction - roof design
asphalt shingle, 30# felt, OSB, 5 1/2" open cell foam. Should I be concerned about the design causing moisture problems over time?

Asked By Mike Beckham | Oct 22 16