Helpful? 0

Type or Parging & waterproofing for old concrete foundation

Good day,
My house is located in Toronto, Canada, built in 1912 from brick. The foundation is poured concrete. It is fairly soft and I believe its made mostly of lime, as that is what is used for the mortar to lay the bricks. The side of the exposed foundation was parged over likely a few decades ago with what appears to be a very hard portland cement. The lower half of which is loose and sounds hallow. In other areas, the concrete of the foundation is crumbing about 1 ft above grade. Inside the basement, there is trace amounts of moisture and the foundation is flaking. I am going to have the entire perimeter excavated, the old parging removed. I was planning on patching in damaged areas / forming up as necessary the parging down all the way to the footings, then doing waterproofing. My question is what kind mortar do I use. All the contractors who have looked at the house (about 10 of them now) are planning on using a pre-mixed parge mix. I think this is going to cause similar issues to what is occurring now- the old porous lime based foundation whicks up water from the ground and the parging traps it in the foundation. With no where to go it pushes the new portland cement parging off the wall. Is there any disadvantage with using a mix of sand and naturally hydrated lime?

Asked by Michael Genin
Posted Thu, 01/17/2013 - 14:42

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Michael,
I suggest you read this article by Joe Lstiburek on sacrifical parging: Efflorescence = Water Damage.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 01/17/2013 - 15:04

Helpful? 0

I certainty did read that, and a lot of the responses below. Most seem to be with regards to brick or stone foundations. I'm assuming that the same applies to poured concrete. If that is the case, we I'm assuming that using portland cement is the wrong choice.

Answered by Michael Genin
Posted Thu, 01/17/2013 - 15:19

Other Questions in General questions

Calculating how much air needed to even out temps for minisplit

In Mechanicals | Asked by Tom Frisch | Oct 23, 14

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by norm farwell | Oct 24, 14

Flat roof insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Angela M | Nov 22, 13

Roof insulation

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Steven Clark | Oct 24, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!