Helpful? 0

Insulated Wood Headers

Question about the level of “perfection” that is required for insulating wood headers: Climate Zone 4A, 2x6 exterior walls, and I detailed the headers with the required number of vertical 2x10s (i.e., I didn’t do triple 2x10s in non-load bearing walls). The 2x10s are held to the outside face of the wall. For a single 2x10 condition (~4” void) the insulator was able to dense pack cellulose. For a double 2x10 condition (~2.25” void), I installed 2” of XPS with a half inch gap and foamed in the edges. For a triple 2x10 condition (~.75” void), I caulked the edges for air sealing.

At one location, I noticed that the rigid foam had pushed towards the inside of the house while the foam was curing, which would leave a void between the foam and the 2x10s. Should this rigid foam be removed, re-fastened to the header, and re-foamed? Or, is it okay that the foam is not perfectly flat against the header?

At the areas where I caulked, I’m assuming that air sealing is better (less just for air movement and condensation forming) than just leaving the edges uncaulked. Correct?

Asked by David Baca
Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 15:34

Tags:

3 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

David,
Q. "At one location, I noticed that the rigid foam had pushed towards the inside of the house while the foam was curing, which would leave a void between the foam and the 2x10s. Should this rigid foam be removed, re-fastened to the header, and re-foamed?"

A. Nail it with cap nails.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 17:10

Helpful? 0

I agree. I’ll take this one piece of foam out, clean it out, nail it, and re-foam it tonight. But I want to make sure I understand the principle…is a small gap a bad thing (like, I tear out drywall and double check every single one) or is it okay? My gut tells me a small gap is okay, because no wood-to-insulation interface is ever going to be perfectly aligned. On top of that, there are gaps/mis-alignments in multi-ply wood headers all the time.

Answered by David Baca
Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 17:22

Helpful? 0

David,
Q. "Is a small gap a bad thing (like, I tear out drywall and double check every single one) or is it okay?"

A. It's OK.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 17:51

Other Questions in General questions

How to fix an attempted insulation retrofit on a '70s cathedral ceiling?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Gregory Erickson | Dec 16, 13

Most sesible heating system for a new house build on Vancouver Island

In Mechanicals | Asked by Blake Klopfenstein | Nov 26, 14

Mold on inside of plywood sheathing

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Aaron Saucier | Nov 25, 14

Window flashing and trim with exterior rockwool

In General questions | Asked by colin slade | Nov 25, 14

Polyiso and ZIP

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by marty nichol | Nov 28, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!