Insulated Wood Headers

Question about the level of “perfection” that is required for insulating wood headers: Climate Zone 4A, 2x6 exterior walls, and I detailed the headers with the required number of vertical 2x10s (i.e., I didn’t do triple 2x10s in non-load bearing walls). The 2x10s are held to the outside face of the wall. For a single 2x10 condition (~4” void) the insulator was able to dense pack cellulose. For a double 2x10 condition (~2.25” void), I installed 2” of XPS with a half inch gap and foamed in the edges. For a triple 2x10 condition (~.75” void), I caulked the edges for air sealing.

At one location, I noticed that the rigid foam had pushed towards the inside of the house while the foam was curing, which would leave a void between the foam and the 2x10s. Should this rigid foam be removed, re-fastened to the header, and re-foamed? Or, is it okay that the foam is not perfectly flat against the header?

At the areas where I caulked, I’m assuming that air sealing is better (less just for air movement and condensation forming) than just leaving the edges uncaulked. Correct?

Asked by David Baca

1.

David,
Q. "At one location, I noticed that the rigid foam had pushed towards the inside of the house while the foam was curing, which would leave a void between the foam and the 2x10s. Should this rigid foam be removed, re-fastened to the header, and re-foamed?"

A. Nail it with cap nails.

2.

I agree. I’ll take this one piece of foam out, clean it out, nail it, and re-foam it tonight. But I want to make sure I understand the principle…is a small gap a bad thing (like, I tear out drywall and double check every single one) or is it okay? My gut tells me a small gap is okay, because no wood-to-insulation interface is ever going to be perfectly aligned. On top of that, there are gaps/mis-alignments in multi-ply wood headers all the time.

Answered by David Baca

3.

David,
Q. "Is a small gap a bad thing (like, I tear out drywall and double check every single one) or is it okay?"

A. It's OK.