GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulated Wood Headers

davidbaca | Posted in General Questions on

Question about the level of “perfection” that is required for insulating wood headers: Climate Zone 4A, 2×6 exterior walls, and I detailed the headers with the required number of vertical 2x10s (i.e., I didn’t do triple 2x10s in non-load bearing walls). The 2x10s are held to the outside face of the wall. For a single 2×10 condition (~4” void) the insulator was able to dense pack cellulose. For a double 2×10 condition (~2.25” void), I installed 2” of XPS with a half inch gap and foamed in the edges. For a triple 2×10 condition (~.75” void), I caulked the edges for air sealing.

At one location, I noticed that the rigid foam had pushed towards the inside of the house while the foam was curing, which would leave a void between the foam and the 2x10s. Should this rigid foam be removed, re-fastened to the header, and re-foamed? Or, is it okay that the foam is not perfectly flat against the header?

At the areas where I caulked, I’m assuming that air sealing is better (less just for air movement and condensation forming) than just leaving the edges uncaulked. Correct?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    Q. "At one location, I noticed that the rigid foam had pushed towards the inside of the house while the foam was curing, which would leave a void between the foam and the 2x10s. Should this rigid foam be removed, re-fastened to the header, and re-foamed?"

A. Nail it with cap nails.

2. davidbaca | | #2

I agree. I’ll take this one piece of foam out, clean it out, nail it, and re-foam it tonight. But I want to make sure I understand the principle…is a small gap a bad thing (like, I tear out drywall and double check every single one) or is it okay? My gut tells me a small gap is okay, because no wood-to-insulation interface is ever going to be perfectly aligned. On top of that, there are gaps/mis-alignments in multi-ply wood headers all the time.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

David,
    Q. "Is a small gap a bad thing (like, I tear out drywall and double check every single one) or is it okay?"

A. It's OK.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |