GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Using hardwood or bamboo flooring planks on walls

wendellr | Posted in General Questions on

I live in climate zone 4a of the United states. I’m having a 3 season sunroom built and would like to cover the walls with hardwood or bamboo flooring planks horizontally over half inch osb or plywood. I have been told that this is doable. My concern is that this room will be unheated. CAN I DO IT????

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Wendell,
    Q. "Can I do it?"

A. Yes.

What are you worried about?

2. wendellr | | #2

I was told that because the room would be unheated, I would have a problem with excessive expansion and contraction.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Wendell,
    Expansion and contraction of T&G hardwood boards is normal. T&G hardwood has been used as flooring in New England homes for at least 150 years. These houses go through big swings in temperature and humidity. In most cases, the boards are fine, although it isn't unusual to see larger gaps in the winter, when indoor humidity levels are lower.

The only problem comes when very dry boards are installed tightly during the driest time of the year; it's possible for later swelling to cause the boards to buckle. This is rare, however, because it's hard to get boards dry enough during installation for this problem to occur. As with many aspects of building, installation requires judgment -- and occasional use of a moisture meter.

I don't have any experience with bamboo.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |