Helpful? 0

Employment with a green builder / contractor

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I would love to apprentice under (or work for) a Green Builder/Contractor, but I don't know where to look or how to find this type of job. I've completed my first term in the Construction Carpentry (Advanced Housing) program at Algonquin College, where we learned to frame floors, walls & roofs (gable & hip). I'm willing to relocate, if necessary. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Ron Bishop
Posted Sun, 02/10/2013 - 07:35
Edited Mon, 02/11/2013 - 10:08

Tags:

3 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Do you have recent construction skills, or starting from scratch?

Answered by David Meiland
Posted Sun, 02/10/2013 - 21:05

Helpful? 0

The CMHC is located in Ottawa and does a fair amount of research and projects partnering with local contractors. You might try contacting them for a list of firms they work with.

Answered by Malcolm Taylor
Posted Sun, 02/10/2013 - 22:05

Helpful? 0

Ron,
You should follow the same steps taken by any job seeker. Do some research and find the names of green builders in your area (or in an area you would be willing to live). Contact the employer and describe your skills and interest. The more research you do ahead of time, the more likely that the employer will take an interest in your application.

Be prepared to start at the bottom, working as a laborer and go-fer. Show up the first day with your tool box. The more you learn, the more useful you will be to your employer.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Mon, 02/11/2013 - 09:40

Other Questions in General questions

Half Insulating Stone Basement

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Geoffrey Cook | Oct 31, 14

Pipe leak in basement

In General questions | Asked by Andrew Sirianni | Oct 31, 14

PERSIST vs REMOTE vs SIP ?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Walker Angell | Oct 21, 14

Steel frame home insulation

In General questions | Asked by J B | Oct 28, 14

A very low addition...

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by ron letourneau | Oct 29, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!