Employment with a green builder / contractor

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I would love to apprentice under (or work for) a Green Builder/Contractor, but I don't know where to look or how to find this type of job. I've completed my first term in the Construction Carpentry (Advanced Housing) program at Algonquin College, where we learned to frame floors, walls & roofs (gable & hip). I'm willing to relocate, if necessary. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Ottawa
Posted Feb 10, 2013 6:35 AM ET
Edited Feb 11, 2013 9:08 AM ET

1.

Do you have recent construction skills, or starting from scratch?

Answered by davidmeiland
Posted Feb 10, 2013 8:05 PM ET

2.

The CMHC is located in Ottawa and does a fair amount of research and projects partnering with local contractors. You might try contacting them for a list of firms they work with.

Answered by user-1132906
Posted Feb 10, 2013 9:05 PM ET

3.

Ron,
You should follow the same steps taken by any job seeker. Do some research and find the names of green builders in your area (or in an area you would be willing to live). Contact the employer and describe your skills and interest. The more research you do ahead of time, the more likely that the employer will take an interest in your application.

Be prepared to start at the bottom, working as a laborer and go-fer. Show up the first day with your tool box. The more you learn, the more useful you will be to your employer.

Answered by user-756436
Posted Feb 11, 2013 8:40 AM ET