Helpful? 0

What is the most cost-effective way to build a cement wall in a basement and achieve a good R-value?

I have build with ICFs. It is the cost. Wondering what else is out there. Not interested in rammed earth or framing with PT materials for exterior walls

Asked by Dan Easton
Posted Fri, 02/22/2013 - 23:24
Edited Sat, 02/23/2013 - 06:03

Tags:

7 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

I don't think you'll find much if the cost of ICF's is prohibitive. Maybe a poured wall w/ lots of foam outside? What do you not like about PT walls?

Answered by John Klingel
Posted Sat, 02/23/2013 - 00:46

Helpful? 0

Wood in dirt-- It will rot someday I don't care how much chemical you inject into it. Not an option in my view

Answered by Dan Easton
Posted Sat, 02/23/2013 - 01:16

Helpful? 0

The most cost-effective insulated basement wall is probably a conventional poured concrete wall insulated on the interior with Thermax polyisocyanurate.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Sat, 02/23/2013 - 06:05

Helpful? 0

There are mineralic foams like shredded glas foam, perlite, expanded kiln fired clay and others which can be added to the agregate.
There are also foam developing additives available for concrete.
Contact a civil engineer to advise on the right mixture for thermal insulation and load bearing capacity.

These additives don't come cheap however.

Answered by Hein Bloed
Posted Sat, 02/23/2013 - 14:59
Edited Sat, 02/23/2013 - 15:01.

Helpful? 0

"It will rot someday I don't care how much chemical you inject into it." Agreed, if it gets wet. However, PT walls are coated/shielded to prevent watering them, and you need to keep your soil dry w/ prevention and drainage. If you can't keep the wall dry, then go foam/concrete.

Answered by John Klingel
Posted Mon, 02/25/2013 - 02:04

Helpful? 0

Not wanting exterior deterioration issues or a finished basement, we decided to the Thermomass system on our home recently. The layer of rigid foam is in the middle of the concrete pour. I would suspect that it's less costly than ICFs.

Answered by Scott McCullough
Posted Mon, 02/25/2013 - 17:50

Helpful? 0

Concrete is one of the oldest and most widely used cost-effective construction material. These concrete walls are highly durable and have high operating energy efficiency.

Answered by Jenny Belman
Posted Tue, 02/26/2013 - 09:39

Other Questions in General questions

In General questions | Asked by Robert Shelton | Jul 25, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Noah Byler | Jul 23, 14
In Plans Review | Asked by Joshua Wyatt | Jul 28, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by david chinn | Jul 27, 14
In Mechanicals | Asked by Shawn Shumaker | Jul 28, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!