GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Gable vent

user-1105327 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any suggestions on designing and building gable vents? other than ‘do not design and build a gable vent.’… Thanks!
I am particularly concerned with preventing blowing snow from entering the attic…

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. belmanliving | | #1

The gable vents found on the average home are made out of wood and have screen wire backing. What material you want to use?

2. user-1105327 | | #2

hi jenny, i want to use the same...

3. user-1105327 | | #3

i'm just wondering, maybe there is some magical material that reduces spindrift...?

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

That would be Cor-a Vent

5. user-1105327 | | #5

malcolm, i'm somewhat familiar with cor-a-vent. i took quick look at their website, however, and i did not see any products to use to build a gable vent...?

6. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #6

Erik, the strips of cor-a- vent used for the bottom of ventilated cavities and at roof ridges stop wind blown snow while still allowing air movement and could be built into the spaces between the wooden louvers on a gable vent.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |