GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Converting my attic to a conditioned space

altair909 | Posted in General Questions on

I am planning on converting my attic to a conditioned space so that I can put an air handler up there. I read a great article here on what my options are as far as venting. I do have a couple questions on this though.

My roof uses 2×6 trusses. I had new shingles and vents installed about 7 years ago. They used the can vents. I was going to install a ridge vent and just leave the can vents there and use the rigid foam to create a 1″ ventilation channels and use the spray foam over that etc…

I got to thinking though(uh oh). They installed the cans over the 2×6 trusses so that 2 bays share the same can vent. Unfortunately not all bays would have an upper vent if I just put the rigid foam in place. Was wondering if there would be adequate ventilation if I drilled holes in the trusses up by the ridge(inside the 1″ channel) so that air could flow to the bays that have the can vents?

Thanks in advance…

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Dino,
    You don't provide enough information for us to answer your question.

Is this a gable roof? A hip roof? Some other type of roof?

Does the roof contain any dormers, skylights, or valleys?

Unless you have a gable roof without any dormers, skylights, or valleys, you don't have a good roof configuration for a vented roof assembly.

If you do have a gable roof without any dormers, skylights, or valleys, you can ventilate the roof with soffit vents as intakes and a ridge vent as your outlet. You don't need any "cans" or mushroom vents.

If you have any other kind of a roof -- one with ridges, valleys, or obstructions -- you want to build an unvented roof assembly.

Here are two articles with more information:

Creating a Conditioned Attic

How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |