GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Split heat-pump water heater?

jinmtvt | Posted in General Questions on

What’s up with that ?
Are we again left in the dark zone or what ?

I’ve easily found a few hundreds of chinese units of split ait to water HP heater,
a euro Fujitsu model, some asian Toshiba models and a few DE and CH brands doing different designs …

Am i missing something here ?
As far as i know, none of those are available in USA/CA
and they SHOULD BE.

anyone found a supplier in North America ??

i’d settle for anything better than our regular tanks ..

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jin,
    It's called the Daikin Altherma. It's available. And it's expensive.

2. davidmeiland | | #2

My plumbing contractor has installed a number of Altherma units, and is looking into a few other varieties of the same thing. There are at least a couple of split HP water heating devices. I looked into one from Nyle not long ago, apparently they work fine but are not cheap.

3. jinmtvt | | #3

Martin : i had missed the "split" system on Daikin website ... have they been offering it in split units for a long time ?? but if i read correctly, the system is probably too pricey for a regular residential setup,
    to be used solely on water heating purposes.

David: do you have an idea of the cost of the cold temp Nyle unit ?
    at least, it looks like it's made in USA

i'll continue my search,
    but it looks like i'll be doing some imports soon again ....

Would the be any interest if i could get a product that has a sufficiently good COP
    with a decent price and cold temp setup ??

Wonder what kind of gov approvals are required to sale/install this kind of products in NA .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |